22

//

it felt as though a huge weight had been lifted off her shoulders. the weight of the questions and accusations she'd been meaning to address had now dissipated, after baekhyun's confession. she felt herself smile at the realisation; a flood, a happy sigh of relief.

as if all the confusion and misunderstanding was over, she thought.

except the clouded mystery that had surrounded him was now replaced with a strange uncertainty, one that made her want to ask: how?

how was it all possible? the lights, everything; how did he have this power over them?

how.

the thought, the image, was somehow intriguing, as if she wanted to properly observe the ability he held; watch him play with the light, watch the dancing yellow and amber inferno between his hands.

roma loved the way he'd spoken so fluidly, divulging her with this held-in information, his hands having still clasped hers together. like he had been so relieved to finally say it, admit what he'd been meaning to tell her.

but she also feared that sparkle that had ignited in his vision, evident in the way goosebumps had formed across her skin. the way he'd looked at her, smirking, somehow, eyes growing darker. black diamonds.

and then she'd dared him. to show her.

because she'd never felt more alive in her entire life.

baekhyun was an adventure: a risk, even. someone she'd never encountered before in her entire life.

roma was so bored of being boring.

and baekhyun's beautiful eyes and smirking lips were beginning to make her fall harder than she'd ever intended.

//

23:57.

"where even are we?"

she asked the question softly, the words slowly tumbling from her shivering lips, as his hand dragged them both up the empty flights of stairs. roma wasn't frightened. savoured the feeling of his calloused yet comfortable skin pressing against hers.

"you'll see," he laughed, the sound like happiness ringing out through the desolation.

wasn't scared.

roma even laughed in return, clinging to him, ready for adventure.

the building that they'd entered was abandoned, all persons having left the area. tonight, the city seemed even more vibrant, with the scattering of lights glittering in the distance, providing a colourful backdrop to whatever baekhyun had planned.

despite the eerie quiet and darkness of the place, roma wasn't fearful of anything. merely curious as to where they were heading. the numerous flights of stairs began to seem endless, each step adding to their elevation, taking them higher.

"baekhyun," she laughed, her breaths heavy from climbing the stairs. "baekhyun, are we nearly there yet?" she joked, giggling childishly.

he laughed in response.

"yeah, we are."

suddenly, the dark steps came to an end, and she heard the thudding sound of baekhyun shoving the double doors open, their figures met with a burst of cool air.