51

18:26.

still hot outside. deep summer. 

a sudden pang of realisation overwhelmed roma, as she mindlessly did the washing up, the evening heat sinking through the low window, hair falling forward over her transfixed eyes. 

glanced from one side of the suddenly unfamiliar room to the other. 

they'd been at minseok's for must have been over a week now. she lifted her head up. minseok wasn't at home right now, and baekhyun was in the bedroom, as she'd left him flicking through screens on his laptop, reclined on the bed. casual. like this whole ordeal was completely normal. 

god, what was she doing?

slight panic took over her system, her stomach suddenly curling in on itself. 

mia. 

their flat. 

roma had just left it all behind because baekhyun had said so; had looked at her with those captivating orbs. told her it was all going to be okay. 

back home. other plans. summer was almost over. wasn't going to last forever.

it wasn't that she wasn't okay. she was fine; more than fine, even. but she'd had the whole summer planned out. not just her, but mia also. and she'd just gone without giving it a second's thought. roma recalled back to their strange conversation on the phone, in which mia's voice had been shaky and uneven, pretending, cracking a smile for roma. 

ending the call had felt weird and an avoidance of some sort.

she felt her chest tightening. roma accidentally dropped a plate into the sink, metal on metal, the sound ringing out and piercing the lazy silence. shaking hands.

clumsily, she picked it back up, moving all of the clean dishes and cutlery onto a safer area on the counter. she washed her hands, the water running cold over her fingers and palms. rinsed the dirt off. 

roma felt like such a shit friend. how could she not have pressed mia further and asked her to tell her exactly what had happened? 

it was if she had just decided to break free from her trance, the one that was filled with sunshine and radiance and dark, golden eyes. flash to reality. taking it all in. breathing.

she tore herself away from the kitchen, heading down the hallway, her bare feet heavy against the floorboards. gathered her hair at the nape of her neck and brought it up into a tight ponytail, out of her face. 

baekhyun was still in the same space and position she'd left him in; back reclined against the headboard, one hand lazily typing, the other resting on the back of his head, through his hair. he looked up immediately as soon as she entered, a soft beam forming on his pink lips. eyes twinkling. 

her heart was beating too fast, and her breaths were ushering from her lips uncontrollably. 

"hey," he greeted, a smile present even in his smooth tone. 

"um, hey," roma replied pleasantly, feeling flustered and annoyed at herself that, even still, baekhyun's smile had the same effect on her. 

forgot everything for a second. 

back to reality. 

she knelt down and grabbed her big bag from where she'd placed it underneath the bed. roughly pulling it out, she began to search through her clothes and belongings, not sure exactly what she was looking for. 

after a few moments, baekhyun caught onto her weird behaviour.

"everything okay?" baekhyun asked, sitting up, noticing her somewhat odd and rushed behaviour.