46

10:42.

coffee offered familiarity, and roma loved the taste, and listening to its filter in the small kitchen, back leant against the counter, she felt an odd inner-peace, despite the non-familiar apartment and the overpowering sunlight.

it danced patterns across the tidy counter and the neat cupboards, reflecting off the placed glasses and mugs. a decadent yellow, climbing over the patchy sofa and spilling across onto the ground. she reached for two now, the aroma filling her pleasantly, putting them down with a clumsy thump.

bare feet.

hair messy and draped around her shoulders.

the over-sized t-shirt she'd pulled on hung loosely around her, exposing the coloured strip of her neck and the slight blue bruise dotting her collar bone. heat made its way through the thin material. late morning.

she poured the coffee into the white cups, deciding that she needed something strong and didn't want to have it with milk. he was still asleep. her lips turned up at the corners.

roma grabbed the mugs in both hands, slamming the drawer shut with her hip, making her way through the kitchen, the hallway. soft, muted footsteps. pushed the bedroom door open quietly.

it was like that morning, ages and ages ago, practically having escaped her mind. with the sun pouring in and the tranquility of the sunned streets outside providing a mellow backdrop. baekhyun, who had then been the mystery boy, shirtless and bare-skinned and sprawled across the white duvet.

roma tried not to drop the coffee.

she managed, stepping carefully over his jeans that were crumpled on the beige carpet. put the mugs on the nightstand.

took a step back. took it all in.

baekhyun was her life now; which sounded incredibly cheesy and ridiculous and like she was completely dependent on him for his shows of affection. that wasn't it. she just couldn't imagine it without him.

all the adventures and promising words and light pouring in.

nothing: not without the soft smiles and his deep chuckle and the way he'd stare at her and his arms and his hands and everything. roma blushed at just the thought of him. at everything.

observed him with glassy eyes, rimmed with emotion and something untouchable. something that roma herself couldn't even describe. lips were sore and used, but roma revelled in the sensation. brought her finger up to trace along where he'd taken over her.

his power was still an enigmatic area. one that couldn't be answered with straight-forward questions. roma had tried. looking at him, restful and unmoving, roma could picture his expression so clearly; her asking him, and his eyes creasing and his cheek bones contorting and vision darting to stare at anything other than her.

avoiding confrontation and having to delve deeper for comprehension.

he wasn't afraid, she didn't think. he didn't seem scared; more like he was pained; like he was being twisted, inside out, mind flooded with explanations and statements and the truth, and baekhyun just never knew how to say it. for fear of letting them down. for fear of a wrong admission.

acceptance.

roma recalled the look of stern anger on jongdae's face. the look of betrayal kai's features had held. the unmoving stature of sehun's presence. the fear in minseok's frozen orbs.

it all added up. yet made no sense.

lights. the light.

she'd witnessed the fear, and the adrenaline, and the sheer power and the electricity that palpitated in the heavy atmosphere every time they were near. every time baekhyun's eyes would narrow in on a particular object or aspect, and everything would go dark.