63

San Francisco. 11:22.

sun.

blazing; scorching; beating down.

baekhyun tried to think. or, rather, to empty his thoughts of any painful distractions. of anything that would make this harder than it already was. he didn't quite know himself what the answer would be.

transient feeling perhaps comforted his troubled mind. he shifted one leg over the other. the heat felt artificial; all-consuming and claustrophobic. trapping him. it was bearable, however. not much choice anyway. the sun would always be there, protruding from the sea of blue.

the city down below from where he was sat, perched on the edge, appeared alight with excitement and crowdedness. full of distractions. things to busy himself with. eyes were following the light, catching people's items, shining elements, metal on their belts, straps of ther bags, as they strolled through the bustling street, reflecting off of the fluorescent yellow. distraction. people and cars and shouting.

eyes glazed over: his pupils widened.

anything else to divert his attention with.

suddenly, everything now appeared before him with more clarity and definition. he leaned forward a bit more, so that his head peered over the window ledge. he could almost taste what he saw; an odd sensation, and different senses. his body retracted against the sunlight. every living and breathing thing seemed louder and with more depth.

baekhyun didn't understand.

he felt himself sigh.

her pretty features cowered over his every thought. every time he turned, or heard someone's voice that sounded similar to hers, he was consumed completely by it. just like he thought; he needed distractions.

felt like a terrible, awful human being for what he'd done. no explanation: nothing of tangible quality. just trust. for a person, that wasn't always enough. maybe he'd truly fucked it all up this time.

his mind swam with thoughts of regret and sadness.

the clear and poignant sound of the front door downstairs being opened, inviting the deafening noise and sound from outside into their current living space, was accompanied by two familiar but almost forgotten voices. muffled, deep tones inundated the resounding space. sound of heavy footsteps ensued, trudging up the stairs, big boots and deep tones. 

baekhyun swivelled in his position.

minseok, who was lying, reclined, on the sofa, also turned his attention away from the mundane pictures and images replaying over and over again on the screen. static energy gathering together. voices continued in their muffled and muted volume.

they both exchanged a serious, apprehensive but expecting glance. as he glanced at his watch, he noted they were a couple of hours late.

footsteps on the stairs seemed to go on forever.

junmyeon and kyungsoo carefully sidled into their vision. stern expressions; creased lines in their faces, the curves dragged down, marks and dimmed features. light was gone. junmyeon had a large suitcase in his hand, and was listening intently with that careful, in-thought expression of his as kyungsoo mumbled quietly, coming in behind him.

baekhyun felt himself gasp slightly.

caught their eyes.

minseok looked unmoving.

"hi," junmyeon's confident and sure voice rang out. quiet, but still authoritative. almost echoed around the lounge.

he dropped his bag to the floor with a loud thud.