29

10:30.

she didn't have a car, or a way of getting home.

and she could barely swallow down the huge lump that had risen in her throat.

and she could feel herself drawing blood, nails digging into the delicate skin of her balled, anxious fists. biting her lip, hard.

and the calm after the storm was almost too much to bear. almost.

she knew she didn't even have to go and see for herself:

he was gone.

she was still sat, facing an empty and fallen chair opposite her. an encompassing quiet surrounded her. his coffee was still untouched. hers finished. everyone circling her petrified form were continuing on with their breakfast, smiling and exchanging friendly chatter, and.

how could they not have seen, was all she could think about. flooded every space of her thoughts.

the dark clouds spiralling into an almost-black, converting the sky into a mass of darkness. the wind howling, storm as powerful as a hurricane. and she remembered calling his name, over and over, but he couldn't hear her.

it hurt her, as she remembered how, only moments ago, his eyes had held such panic and terror that she'd never seen before. black orbs and fiery vision. gone, now.

her legs shook against the table legs. attempting to stand up proved to be an impossibility.

just like that, the uproar had stopped, as if by the flick of a switch: leaving behind an empty chair and an empty heart. the sun shone, the heat returned, and everything retained its constant state.

in the reposed and calm manner of the morning--as if nothing had happened--roma's mind flitted back to all those memories. how it was only a couple of days ago that they were laughing and kissing and she was happier than she'd ever been in her entire life.

that sounded ridiculous, she knew. gone images of running through paris late at night made her breath gasp, trying to hold back the rain. all the flashing lights and beating hearts and racing pulses were merely a distraction. she'd believed him; stupid, stupid girl.

you're so fucking stupid.

it was so calm. an eerie stillness, that gave the city a monochromatic vibe.

suddenly, she felt naked and vulnerable in her old white shirt and loose denim shorts. his white shirt. sitting alone, with a shaking lower-lip, repeating to herself in her head, don't cry.

roma forced herself up.

she ran, just like baekhyun did.

she burst into their hotel room with tear-stained vision, going straight to her bag. her heart hurt, as she couldn't help but notice the lack of baekhyun's things and belongings; his clothes and bags gone.

the bed sheets were left a mess, the door leading out to the balcony still open. it must've been real, because roma noticed the patches of wall with paint missing, plaster pealing. as if something had been thrown against it. she saw how the door hang slightly off its hinges.

her heart sank for the millionth time.

he'd really left her. no message, no note. and the storm had really happened.

roma knew the appropriate response would be to be angry. to scream his name and throw herself onto the bed and cry her eyes out like a normal girl. block his number and never speak to him again. but she knew there was no way she could do that. her heart and soul said otherwise.