06

13:29.

lights flickered on.

the sudden action made him jump, slightly.

thick clouds gathered.

sunlight depleted.

he sighed.

rain hammered against the window, the glass that he was currently leaning against becoming patterned with streaming droplets of water, the spirals matching the muddled state of his current thoughts. dulling sound of deafening raindrops thudded on the rooftop.

all was quiet.

most people in the inner-city were inside, the rain a sudden and unwelcome occurrence of their usually humid and sunny days, not used to the miserable downpour. the grey atmosphere and rain and obscurity seemed to influence his bored mood even further.

the room wasn't bare; but felt empty. like him. the minimal items within the cramped living room, such as the television that never really worked, and the worn-out sofa with the cushions missing, only made him feel worse.

not sad. alone, somehow. even though he wasn't.

as if on cue, and as if only to break the silence, kai barged into the living room, having only just woken up. his glasses were askew and placed haphazardly on the bridge of his nose, his hair a bedraggled mess and his t-shirt and boxer-shorts creased. a cigarette already poised in between his fingers. a drowsy expression adorned his features, not fully acknowledging baekhyun's presence.

he yawned loudly; followed by a grumble as he tripped over some of the shoes that had been left, scattered across the floor. the soft tread of feet suggested kai was heading over to the kitchen, but baekhyun didn't bother to turn and see for himself, vaguely content on watching the emptying streets down below.

another grumble. another trip over the various items blocking the pathway. another yawn. kai saw baekhyun.

"since when does it rain like this in july, for fuck's sake."

his gravelly voice issued a complaint as he ambled over to the shelves and drawers in the kitchen. switched the kettle on. lit his cigarette. smoke filled the room. he sighed.

"since when did you get into my flat?"

baekhyun replied, his dulled mood cheered as he grinned lazily at kai, who was struggling with trying to find a clean cup amid the mountain of dirty dishes. a pencil rested along the curve of kai's ear.

"since last night," he replied simply and justly, as if that was all that needed to be said.

baekhyun mused; puzzled.

"last night?" he questioned dubiously. "when? i left way before you and sehun. you were both still at the club."

their voices both implied quiet exchanges.

kai nodded in agreement. blew the smoke from between his pale lips. busied himself with washing one of the mugs over the sink.

"yeah, but i came in later," kai stated.

baekhyun was confused.

"how the fuck did you get in?"

kai put the mug down and groaned. water rushed from the tap. echoed loudly.

"you gave me a key, remember?" he responded sarcastically. a laugh accompanied the shake of his head.

"oh, shit. yeah," baekhyun said, leaning back against the window again.