Chapter 22

"Matt-eh."

"Matte." Kira corrected.

"Matte." Sally repeated.

Slenderman suggested that Kira should teach Sally a few things, besides doing nothing all day. She started with helping her pronouncing words from one of the books Kira got from Jack. Words like Xenon, Lead, etc.

Speaking of Slenderman, he arrived right after the time they usually ate dinner. He shared no detail of where ever he has been, only saying,

"I visited an old friend."

The sentence left everyone curious, but nevertheless, they went to their rooms.

"Sometimes, CH would be used like SH."

"So, it's 'shandelier'?"

"Yes."

* * *

Jack shoved his hands into the pockets of his hoodie. Like always, there was his trusty scalpel in it, wrapped in a rag that he found in the kitchen. And of course, he couldn't forget his satchel that he always brought.

Though, what made him confused was the small earpiece in his pocket.

He was confused on how it got there. He never brought anything else. And no one could even get it in there, Jack was quite possessive of his things.

Maybe Ben put it there? He always found a way. He once exclaimed "I am a ninja!" at the time Jack found pot in his wardrobe when he always locked his door.

Jeff couldn't put it in there too. He learned how to respect people and provide them even more privacy the hard way. Which was him being wacked upside the head with a rolling pin by Lyra.

Of course, it couldn't be Kira. She wasn't the type to snoop into somebody's possession. Neither is Sally.

He thought that he should just end the discussion in his head for now, ending the train of thought as he walked faster.

He took notice of the cold breeze, colder than the last time he went out. Jack reached to his back to pull his hoodie on, in an atempt to keep his neck warm.

When has it been this cold?

It only meant that it was almost November. Or atleast, the year was about to end.

Snap!

Jack shivered, he could feel his skin forming goosebumps.

But, it wasn't from the cold.

No, he was certain. He was certain that he felt this before, just a few days ago.

Jack could hear the faint breathing, the faint beating of a heart. Followed by a low creak.

Jack looked up.

On the branch above, someone sat. Legs dangling over, just mere inches away from Jack's head. Feet clad in leather boots, soles caked in dirt. He looked further up, to see a head tilted down. From the dim glow of the moon's light, he could onlt make up white hair.

The same red eyes staring back at him, with the familiar smile on his thin lips.

Upon seeing him, the boy jumped down, to the ground in feont of Jack.

"Hello, Jacky boy..."

Jack frowned. He could only assume that the reason why the earpiece was in his jacket was because someone knew what would happen to him. He placed it into his hand, slipping his hand out of the pocket.