Chapter 39

He refrained from opening his eyes as he remembers what would happen if he did. The darkness was something that he grew accustomed to as he closes his eyes most of the time.

If he could, he would get a pair of goggles so he could have his share of sight. 

He felt a presence looming over him, making him shiver. He could feel the warmth of whoever's skin radiating off.

"He's awake."

His mind was instantly filled with hatred as he heard that voice. It was the same voice who told him that he was going to be okay, then the man knocked him out.

He was not having a nice day.

He turned his head to where the voice came from.

"You!" He yelled, not bothering to feel if there was even someone there.

He felt a hand touch the side of his face, tilting his head to another direction. "No one's there, boy." The voice was a different one.

"Whatever, where the fuck is the guy who fucking hit me in the head?!"

He felt some shuffling.

"What were you planning when you saw him?"

"Like I said, I was going to perform... surgery on him."

"I could hear you." He said.

"Would you rather be deaf?" The second voice asked.

"N-No."

"Then pipe down and lemme talk to my friend here." The voice told him, efficiently shutting him up. He listened to their conversation.

"Okay, something tells me that his abilities involve his eyes."

"It does; he has laser vision."

"Hmm... Just that? Others are always bound to have multiple abilities, but they all have to be associated to one another."

The boy hesitated, but said, "I can do more than lasers."

"Oh?" The second voice seemed to become louder as he moved closer. "Then what is it?"

"I'll tell you if you give me glasses, anything that could prevent chaos when I open my eyes."

* * *

"You're getting quite social."

Jack looked up from his pocket book and his gaze dropped on her.

"Is there a problem with that?" He questioned.

"No," Kira smiled, "I like it. It's good for you to be more sociable than being a loner."

"Oh." Jack shifted in his chair, muttering, "It's because of you, actually."

"How is it because of me?"

"Without you, all the others wouldn't be here. And I formed a relationship with you, which everyone is interested in now." He said, looking down on his book. "To be honest, it actually is pleasing to be approached."

"See? You're liking it." Her bright smile made Jack tremble.

"Ahem." Sally sat up from her spot next to Kira. She brought the book that they gave, which she has been reading the whole time. "What is grumble?"

Jack answered before Kira can. "It's to complain quietly."

"I might have been grumbling since the two of you forgot about me." She frowned, making Kira laugh and Jack smile.

* * *

The boy felt around with his hands, eyes still closed and still sitting on the couch.

"It's made out of leather, if you're wondering."

He jumped and straightened his back.

"Here's a pair of special glasses." The owner of the voice slipped them on. "Open your eyes."

He opened his eyes to see a pale blonde, and a man with red eyes, wearing a doctor's coat.

"I preserved those shades for someone else, but seeing as I am fired from my old job, which is the only way I could give it to the person, you could keep it."

"You know someone else like me?"

"It's a long story, kid. What's your name?" He asked.

"Sam." He answered.

"Sam, I'm Daniel, and my friend here is Smiley. He's the guy who basically brought you here." He told him. "So, what's this other thing you could do?"

"I have lightning powers...?"

"That sounds so full of doubt, Samuel." Daniel said.

"I mean, it only happened to me once!" Sam practically exclaimed.

Daniel sighed. "What happened?"

"I zapped someone once, but I didn't know that that would happen."

All of the guilt started to fill him up, making him frown.

"Well, you're in luck." The blonde grinned. "You're staying here!"

"Not like I have anywhere to even go to." He mumbled.

"Which reminds me, where did you come from?"

"Some place called Phoenix. I was kidnapped and taken there."

A glint in his eyes caught Sam's attention. "How did you escape from there?"

"Someone else escaped days ago, so I took my chance and got out. I have no idea who it was, though." He said.

"That must be Kira." Smiley muttered.

"Who?"

"Another person who has powers. She probably was the one who broke out." Daniel answered. There was a moment of silence before his grin, a grin that belonged to an enthusiastic man, grew back. "Well, now that we're finished talking about that, you have any questions?"

Sam thought about it and came up with a few.

"So, what's the disadvantages and other advantages of living with you guys?"

Daniel's seemed to jerk. "Well, you'll get to have food -of course, improvement of your abilities, new friends -hopefully you all get along, and, well safety which is not that infinite."

"And, the disadvantages?" He repeated.

"You'll become my new test subject." There was something in his eyes that he could not make out. "And, of course, there are chores that might be assigned to you--"

"I just got out of the shithole that treated me like a guinea pig, escaped, got knocked out by a lunatic, and another lunatic is making me into a guinea pig. Again." He groaned. "Why can't life be easier?!"

"Life never was easy." He chuckled. "Especially for the last guinea pigs I had. They make a nice bath salt for my blood bath."

"What was that?"

"Nothing!" He said, completely forgetting what he whispered to himself. "That's all?"

"No. Who are these new friends that I'm going to live with?"

Smiley had exited the room for he knew that Daniel would keep the boy company as long as he could.

With a giggle, that sounded weird to Sam, the man sat down beside him.

"Well, have you heard of Creepypastas?"

[Sometimes, you have to be Australian to get your cousin's attention.]

]