Chapter 3

"You will now be divided into pairs," said Snape, "No, Potter, I shall be putting you in pairs, so don't move towards Weasley," he added. "One partner will attempt to jinx the other without speaking. The other will attempt to repel the jinx in equal silence. Potter, you can go with Crabbe. Weasley, Goyle. Granger, Bullstrode. Taylor, Malfoy...."

I froze. Great, I was paired with the guy who hated me for no apparent reason. I wasn't scared, as we did non-verbal spells since our second year in Australia, so I was pretty good, but I still didn't like the idea.

I looked around, and found Malfoy at the back of the class, leaning his back on the wall and crossing his arms, as if he was waiting for me. His eyes followed me as I crossed the classroom.

"Um, I don't know if you have heard, but Professor Snape put us in a pair to practise non-verbal spells," I said, rather stiffly and formally, my eyes away from his.

"Alright," he sighed then smirked, "lets get this over with."

He stood opposite me, a couple of metres away or so. With him this close, I got a good look at him, with a nagging feeling that his face was really familiar, so I technically wasn't lying to Hermione last night.

"Look, you have plenty of time to stare at my handsomeness outside of class," he smirked, gesturing at his face. That snapped me out of my reverie. I blushed. "Now ladies first-"

I got my wand ready, preparing to mentally say a jinx.

"-but men just before," he snapped, as he sent a jinx at me, which I barely dodged.

I glared at him.

"What, your father never told you that us Malfoys' don't really play by the rules?" he full on sneered.

Then it clicked. My father showed me a Daily Prophet article a few weeks ago, about Lucius Malfoy being sent to Azkaban, showing me a picture of the man himself. My dad was in the team of 7 Aurors that were dispatched to search for Lucius after the events inside the Ministry. Thanks to Lucius's non-verbal spells, two of the Aurors were dead before they found him. That's why he looks so familiar, he looks just like his father.

"Caught on, haven't you? I will take pleasure in hurting the daughter of the man that sent my father to Azkaban," he said, his smile dangerous, his eyes cold.

My stomach knotted. I cleared my throat before saying, "You're father deserved what he got, Malfoy, and if you continue down his path, it will be you next time."

"You know nothing of my path," Malfoy sneered, "now why don't you at least try to jinx me, before Snape thinks that you're dead."

That snapped me back to reality. We were still in a classroom. People were oblivious to our exchange.

I quickly sent a stunning jinx at Malfoy, which he repelled easily.

"You surely can do better than that Taylor, or has your father taught you nothing?" he said lazily.

"Don't say a word against my father," I snarled.

___________________

DRACOS P.O.V

___________________

I looked at her, snarling her defence for her father. Loyal, I observed. Her flushed cheeks, wide blue eyes, her hair flowing passed her shoulders and her small size, she really did look vulnerable. But I really doubted that that was the case.

I smirked. " You know, I would have said the same, but thanks to your father, I have no father for the time being," I said, as I mentally said Expelliarmus, which she replled. She was better than I thought.