Chapter 32

The next few days were near torture. The days were spent silent, with me trying to force Harry and Hermione into conversation. Both seemed to have reached a silent agreement not to talk to each other, and if so, not to talk about Ron at all. The days got shorter and colder, and the most interaction I could get out of them was small talk, about food, or the weather, or sometimes, if I was lucky, the whereabouts of the sword of Gryffindor.

"Hey," Harry said, his voice monotone, walking into the tent one evening, after switching shifts with Hermione.

"Hello Harry," I replied, playing with the locket which was around my neck. I hated wearing it, I could sense all the dark magic in it, but I wore it more often now, with the fact that Ron left.

Harry sat down beside me, leaning back on the couch, and closed his eyes. It wasn't a strange occurrence, we all did it often, when we had nothing better to do.

"Harry," I began. Harry opened his eyes and looked at me. "Do you think we shall succeed?"

Harry sighed. "I don't know Skyler, I don't know." I nodded. His answer was so different from Draco's, who was so determined that I would help to kill Voldemort.

The thought of Draco hit me so hard, my heart literally breaking into pieces, that I had to turn away so Harry doesn't see the tears in my eyes. I physically ached from Draco's hands around me, his eyes on mine, even his voice, ordering me to go to sleep. I missed his smile, his laugh, even his angry voice on the rare occasions that I angered him.

"Skyler, don't worry," Harry said, mistaking my grief for worry. He placed his arm around me and pulled me to lean my head on his shoulder. I went gladly, I needed someone to lean on, someone who was stronger than I was.

We stayed silent for a while.

"What are you thinking about?" Harry whispered.

I looked down at my hands, my thoughts shouting the name of someone in my head.

Draco.

Draco.

Draco.

"Skyler?" Harry asked. His voice was full of concern.

I peeled my eyes away from my hands and gazed at him, at his bright green eyes. With his mother's eyes, and his father's black hair and tallness, any girl would have died to be here with the Chosen One, but I never saw Harry that way, my heart filled only for his worst enemy.

Harry stared at me for a moment, his eyes scanning me, probably checking if I was going to burst into tears at any moment.

Then, without warning, he wrapped his arms tighter around me, and brought his warm lips onto mine, kissing me gently.

My head felt disconnected from my body. I wanted to kick Harry away, and shout at him for kissing me. What about Ginny? I knew that they broke up, but I couldn't do that to my friend. I wanted to pulled his hair out of his head and slap him for kissing me.

Then I thought about it from his perspective. Did I do something to lead Harry on? Does Harry actually think I like him? Is this my fault?

Harry's lips were still on mine, kissing me hesitantly.

Without any permission from my brain, my lips began kissing him back furiously. I didn't know why. Maybe it was that I missed someone's lips on mine, or the locket that was hanging on my neck has messed me up somehow, or even worse, maybe I was beginning to like Harry. Whatever the reason, my lips attacked his, which brought out a stronger response from his own.

I was in heaven. I didn't know what else to describe it. All I could feel was Harry's warmth, spreading through me, and his lips on mine, gentle, yet strong at the same time.

After a few blissful minutes, something occurred to me.

Draco.

Oh no.

I pulled away suddenly and stood up off the couch. Harry looked up at me questionably, he obviously wasn't done.

I felt sick to my stomach. Draco sent me here for my own safety, and here I was, making out with Draco's enemy. Guilt and self-hatred engulfed me as I stared at Harry.

"Harry, I am so sorry," I said, pulled the chain of the locket off and throwing it on a nearby chair. "The locket.... I would have never-" I stuttered. One part of me knew that it was true. The effect of the locket may have played a part in me kissing him back, but not the only reason.

Harry narrowed his eyes. "So you just kissed me back because of the locket?" He asked, his voice calm.

I didn't know what to say. "Harry-" I began. "You can't have...Ginny?- No..."

"No, just forget it," he snapped, standing up suddenly and grabbed the locket and put it around his own neck. "We wouldn't want you to be kissing anyone else!" Harry stomped outside the tent, leaving me alone in despair.

What have I done? I am the most horrible person in the world. I came here to help my friends, and instead, I break them up. Draco sent me here, and all I do was cheat on him.

I sat down heavily in the couch and place my face in my hands, refusing to allow the tears to escape.

"Skyler," said a voice, Hermione.

"Hey Hermione," I said, lifting my face up to see her. She had a sad smile on her face, telling me that she somehow knew, or saw. But wasn't she on guard duty?

"I walked in to get some tea and was greeted by a confusing scene," Hermione explained, sitting opposite me.

"I don't know what had happened," I said.

Hermione nodded.

"I thought he liked Ginny?" I asked, clutching at some hope.

"I thought so too, until you came on this journey," she replied.

I stayed silent.

"What are you going to do?" Hermione asked.

"I don't know, Hermione," I answered. "I don't know."

I honestly didn't. Harry likes me because of my presence here, which would no doubt make Ginny angry with me. If I continued to stay here, I might actually fall for Harry, meaning that Ginny would be livid with me, and Draco would be betrayed. If I left, Draco would be angry, but I wouldn't want to tell him why I had to leave. Besides, I was here to help him as much as help myself.

My mind was blank, anything I chose to do would no doubt hurt the people I love.

But there was an obvious thing I can't do.

I can't leave here.

And most importantly, I can't fall in love with Harry.

Draco's face appeared in my mind, his eyes loving, his lips smiling at me, the love and smile I don't deserve anymore.

******************

Covered in the Invisibility Cloak, Hermione, Harry and I apparated to Godric's Hollow.

Harry pulled off the Cloak and I looked around.

It was a week since Harry kissed me, and he acted as if nothing has happened, but I could feel the distance that grew between us. I attempted a few conversations, trying mainly to apologise for my blunt rejection, but Harry wouldn't give me substantial replies to continue. Hermione now was the only person who was talking to me, trying to make everything seem normal, though it was far from it.

We had all drank Polyjuice Potion, stealing a few hairs from unsuspecting muggles. Harry was a balding man, Hermione was his mousy wife, and I was their teenage child. The girl was a lot taller than I was, so it was weird to be able to look down on people, for once.

"Harry, Skyler, I think it's Christmas Eve!" Hermione exclaimed as we heard a choir sing carols from a church.

"Is it?" Harry asked absent-minded.

"I'm sure it is," Hermione said, looking behind the church. "Your mum and dad would still be in there, right Harry? In the graveyard?"

We crossed the road and a nearby statue changed into one of three people. A man with a pair of glasses, and pretty woman, and a small boy with the same hair as his dad. James, Lilly and Harry. The statue must have been charmed so no muggles could see it.

I glanced at Harry. He was staring at himself as a baby, with no scar, nothing that made him the Chosen One back then.

"Come on," Harry said after a while.

We crossed into the graveyard and duh deeper into in.

"Harry, they are here....." Hermione called out, signalling us to follow her voice.

I walked over and stood a few yards back as Harry stared at his parents grave. Tears soon began to fall freely from his face, and I had a longing to hug him, but resisted, knowing that it wouldn't help my situation. The most I could do was to hold his hand and squeeze it gently. He returned the pressure.

Hermione raised her wand, and a circle of flowers appeared in front of Harry. He took it and placed it by the grave. We began walking silently but quickly out of the graveyard.

"Harry, stop," I said, my voice low.

Harry slowed down and looked at me in confusion. But Hermione knew that I was talking about.

"What is it?" He asked.

"There's someone watching us," Hermione whispered. "Over there, by the bushes."