Chapter 7

I stayed at Hogwarts for the Christmas Break. My parents were too busy with their work to have me, and they wouldn't let me stay at home by myself, with the current climate, and by climate, they mean You-Know-Who. Ron offered that I could stay in the Burrow with him and Harry, but I politely declined. Hermione was also staying in Hogwarts for Christmas, and I had a feeling so it would be because I wouldn't feel left out, so I couldn't just leave her.

I spent time in the library with Hermione. I was looking for some sort of spell or potion that could take away people memories, but keep the feelings of the person still there. I couldn't find anything. Of course I couldn't, it barely made any sense.

Christmas at Hogwarts wasn't all that bad. We had endless snow-ball fights. Endless hot-chocolate-next-to-the-fire evenings. Endless times when Hermione would worry that she needed to start revising for the end of year tests.

I got a letter from Harry, telling me what Remus Lupin and Mr. Weasley thought of the conversation we overheard between Snape and Malfoy. I showed the letter to Hermione, who also agreed with their views. Snape was obviously pretending to help Malfoy. I sided with Harry though, but not extremely. I mean, what's the worst Malfoy could be planning?

I woke up early on Christmas Day, from a loud screeching outside the window. I groaned, got out of bed and opened the window, half asleep. Four owls flew in, landing on my bed. As soon as I untied the packages from all of them, they flew off again immediately.

The first owl dropped a package from Ron. He got me a Honeyduke's Candy Box, which was funny, because I sent him one too. We both had good taste and appreciation of sweets!

The second owl dropped a package from Harry. He got me an eagle quill, as well as ink and lots of journals. Harry knew that I liked to write. I sent him some books that my dad bought for me to give to Harry. The books were about Aurors, including "The History of Aurors," and "Famous Aurors, in the Past And Present." I knew that he wished to become an Auror, so I hoped that he'd enjoy them. I also hoped that my owl that I sent to them woke them up rudely just like theirs did.

I opened the third package, from my parents. My mother sent me loads of clothes, that somehow fit inside a tiny box, while my father gave me money and sweets. They both signed a card apologising for not being able to have me for Christmas.

I opened the last package. I had my friends and my parents, who were all away, down, so who else would have sent me anything by owl?

It was a small box. I opened it, and a delicate gold bracelet fell out, landing on my bed. A note was attached to the bracelet.

"My Heart Belongs To You," the note said simply, in neat handwriting.

I looked at the bracelet. A charm was on the chain, in the shape of a heart torn in half.

"It's beautiful, who sent it to you?" Hermione asked. I didn't realise she was awake. She had her own owl-sent packages, but she was standing holding out a present to me. "Merry Christmas!"

"I don't know Hermione," I replied, giving her the note to read, while I dove under my bed for her present. "Merry Christmas!" I continued, handing it to her.

Hermione gave me a large jar of Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans, which we started eating immediately. I got her a large stack of white parchment, which was meant to be much stronger and more resilient than normal parchment. I may or may not have snooped around Hermione's area to find that she was running low on parchment, well, low for Hermione anyways.

All in all, it was one of the best Christmases outside of home I've ever had.

**************************

The new term began with a buzz. The Apparation lessons were about to begin for people who were going to be 16 on or before the 31st of August. My birthday is on the 16th of August, so I was just as excited as everyone else.

Hermione and Ron were still ignoring each other. It's been more than a month now. Both Harry and I thought that the 3 week Christmas break would have put some perspective in their minds. Nothing. But Harry told me that Lavender was getting too clingy for Ron's liking, which was good news, at least for Hermione, if she knew, or even watched Ron's face as Lavender would charge into him.

************************

Saturday, the day of the first Apparation lesson came, we all made our may down into the Great Hall.

"Good Morning," said a strange looking Ministry Wizard, "my name is Wilkie Twycross, and I shall be your Ministry Apparation Instructor for the next 12 weeks. I hope to be able to prepare you for your Apparation test in this time....."

"Malfoy, be quiet and pay attention!!" Professor McGonagall barked.

Everyone glanced at Malfoy, who flushed. I kept my gaze on him.

"I would like each of you to place yourselves now so that you have a clear 5 feet of space in front of you," called the Instructor.

Amid the chaos of people trying to get a space, I saw Harry make his way to stand right behind Malfoy, to try to overhear his conversation with Crabbe or Goyle, no doubt, just like I knew he would. I shook my head. Yes, I was curious about what Malfoy was planning, but there is a huge, thick, black line between curiosity and obsession, and Harry crossed it, multiple times.

"The important thing to remember when Apparating are the 3 Ds, Destination, Determination, Deliberation."

***********************

Nothing exciting happened in the lesson, other than Susan Bones Splinching herself. No one disappeared and reappeared in the hoop we were trying to apparate into, not even Hermione, who was usually the first to get things done perfectly.

"Until next Saturday, everybody, do not forget, Destination, Determination, Deliberation!" called the Instructor, at the end of the hour.