Chapter 51

"Draco Malfoy, we are leaving immediately," Lucius said coldly. He didn't even look at me. He turned to go.

Draco tightened his grip on my waist. "No."

Lucius turned back to him and blinked. "What did you say?"

"No."

"Draco, unhand that filthy half-blood at once, we-are-leaving!"

"You can leave, I'm staying here to fight."

Lucius's face pulled into a snarl. "I think the other Death Eaters can handle these children." Lucius glared at me for a second causing shivers to go down my spine at his hatred-filled eyes.

"I don't think you're getting it, father. I'm fighting on the opposite side."

Lucius's eyes widened and he flushed with anger. "Draco, come NOW!"

The two battles still raged in front of us, but a few of the spectators turned around to face our little scene. I kept my eyes busy, roaming the Hall for Harry and my dad. Where were they? My heart skipped a beat.

"No," Draco said calmly, as cool as anyone could be with their father yelling at them.

Lucius backed away slightly. "You are no longer my son."

Draco sneered. "That's ok, since as you're no longer my father."

I gasped silently. Lucius growled and stalked away, disappearing into the crowd.

"Draco, go," I said, pushing him away slightly.

"What?" He asked, bewildered.

"Just go!"

"No!"

"Draco, I can't let you get disowned my your family because of me! Go!"

"Skyler, you don't understand. He MADE me become a Death Eater. I never wanted it, but my father forced me into it!"

"No," I said. "He didn't. No dad would ever want to bring that to his son." I reached up, touching Draco's face lightly, hearing him sigh at my touch. I was fully aware of the battles going on, between Voldemort and the three professors and Bellatrix and Mrs Weasley, but I honestly didn't care. "It was Voldemort all along. HE'S the enemy, he's the one that caused all this mess, so he should pay, not you, or your family."

Draco began to protest.

"No, just go, Draco."

Draco's face was contorted with indecision.

I stood up on my toes at the same time that he leaned down. But before our lips could meet, I felt a tap on my shoulder.

I turned around and ran into my father's arms.

"Dad," I breathed, tears overflowing my eyes. "You're alive!"

"Of course I am, pumpkin," my dad said back, though his voice was thick. My heart broke because of the reason. Mom....... The thought brought a whole new wave of grief over me.

My dad pulled away slightly. "Skyler, would you like to introduce me to someone?" He looked pointedly behind me.

I swivelled around to see Draco, standing awkwardly behind us. His lips were in a tight line and he looked to the floor, as if embarrassed to be addressed by my dad.

I beamed. "Dad, this," I gestured at Draco, and he stepped forward tentatively, "is Draco Malfoy. He's kind of my boyfriend, for a year. Draco, my dad, Frank Taylor," I smiled sheepishly at my father.

Frank Taylor raised his eyebrows at me and sighed. He then looked at Draco. "Well, I strive not to judge people by their ascendants' mistakes, so I hope I could do the same." He stretched his hand out, and Draco shook it uncertainly. "Besides, I saw you take my daughter when she was in trouble, in which I thank you for."

Draco's eyes widened. "Your-Your welcome," he stuttered.

I rolled my eyes. They were talking about me when I was right THERE!

"Now," my dad continued. "I need to go, Skyler." He kissed my forehead. "I'll be right back."

"Be careful," I whispered.

"Always am." My dad then turned to Draco. "Take care of her, please," he almost begged.

"I can take care of myself, dad!" I cried.

Draco smiled. "She isn't lying, Mr Taylor."

My dad forced a smile. "Please, Skyler, don't do anything rash, I can't imagine if you also-" he broke off suddenly, and stalked towards Voldemort, who had succeeded in knocking down the professors he was battling, all but McGonagall. Bellatrix and Mrs Weasley were still battling too, both viciously sending curses at each other.

"Dad," I whimpered after him.

Draco pulled me into a hug. "Sh, he'll be alright, Skyler."

I glared at the people who were continuously watching us. Haven't they seen people hug before? True, the time probably wasn't the best, but that doesn't mean that they could just stare!

Draco whispered in my ear. "You are mine and I am yours."

I raised my head. "What?"

Draco smiled sadly. "When we were separated, that thought was the only thing that kept me going during those months. That you were mine and that I was yours. Forever." He raised my right hand, which was still had the gold bracelet with the half-heart on it, which he gave me two Christmases ago. He then tugged at a gold necklace around his neck, with another half-heart, the one I noticed that day on the lake - those memories seemed at least a millennia ago. He fitted the two halves together.

"Like the perfect pieces of a puzzle," I whispered.

"One heart, two people. It's impossible how we're still alive," Draco joked. Then a dark shadow passed over his face.

__________________
DRACOS P.O.V.
__________________

"One heart, two people. It's impossible how we're still alive," I said.

A sudden thought hit me. Skyler still didn't know about how she almost died back in our sixth year. I sucked in a breath and looked down at her.

Her hair was a tangled mess, her usually blue eyes were bloodshot, her skin was bloody and bruised, her face dusty. She was still the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, but she was clearly traumatised. I vowed mentally that I'd tell her another day.

"Draco?" I knew that she could see through me. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I said quickly, forcing a smile in my face, it felt too unnatural.

"Draco....."

"Trust me, it's nothing."

"Dra-"

"Let's get out of here," I suggested quickly.

"We can't just leave-"

"Why not?"

"Because," Skyler gestured everywhere, "we are in the middle of a war, we can't just leave! And my dad-"

"Skyler-" I pleaded. "Please, just this once. Your dad wanted me to take care of you, that means to get you away from the front line-"

"What front line? We are at the back, I can barely see what's happening-"

"Skyler," I nearly begged. Damn her strong sense of morality, I mentally cursed, even though it was one of the strongest reasons why I loved her.

Skyler looked from my eyes, to the scene surrounding us, and sighed defeatedly.

"You know," she said, "I'm getting really tired of being treated like the damsel in distress."

I smiled, half in relief. "Come on," I said, taking her by the waist. Being taller, I scanned the crowd, and froze, all my blood thickening.

_____________________
SKYLER P.O.V.
_____________________

"You know," I said, "I'm getting really tired of being treated like the damsel in distress."

Draco smiled, though I could tell that it wasn't natural. I played along, hoping to get him to tell me whatever it was later.

My mind flashed to that first night in his family's cabin. Draco was also hiding something from my that time, but I didn't think much of it, in fact, I had forgotten it now, the memory resurfacing at his face and his guarded eyes. Could it be the same subject? If it was, was it that important that he'll tell me a year later, or .....

I didn't think of it much longer, he slide his arm around my waist and began to lead me away. I clung to him gratefully, glad to have someone to lean on, my exhaustion was setting in. This day was the longest day in my life, with the Gringotts robbing, then the dragon, then Hogsmeade, then the Room of Requirement, then the Death Eater incident and then my mother.....

I stopped that train of thought immediately, not because of that it's too painful, but because Draco stopped walking suddenly. I looked up at him, his pale face was ashen, staring ahead.

Before I could even ask, he glanced down at me, his eyes wide, and began walking faster, dragging me with him.

"Draco-"

"Sh!"

"What's wrong?"

He didn't answer.

Something cold shot through me.

Not my father too.

My knees nearly buckled.

I mentally shook my head. It doesn't have to be my dad. Draco could have only seen someone else.

My breathing came faster and shallower. Draco tightened his grip on me.

It wasn't until I hear a familiar yell that I turned around.

My dad!

I spun around, too sudden for Draco to stop me, and ran back the way we came from.

"DAD!" I screamed at the top of my lungs.

The audience parted slightly as I bulldozed through them.

I couldn't see Bellatrix, but from the corner of my eye, I saw Mrs Weasley. Somehow, she had defeated the sadistic woman. I didn't care, to be honest, my eyes on my father.

He was lying on the ground, on one knee, wandless, with Voldemort standing over him. A few other wizards from the Order of the Phoenix rushed to his aid, but they weren't going to get there fast enough.

"Dad!" I screamed again, barging through the crowd.

Multiple pairs of arms shot out and grabbed me, someone I recognised to be Ernie MacMillian, and Seamus Finnigan, and some Hufflepuff girl wasn't aquatinted with. I struggled with all my might, but alas, my petite figure wasn't going to defeat three people.

Voldemort was glaring at my dad, and snarling words to him that no one could hear.

I felt a familiar set of arms encase me, and with a gruff thank you, Draco was pulling me roughly away.

From amidst my struggles, I saw Voldemort raise his wand over my dad.

With a wild shriek that I never thought I could emit, I kicked out at Draco, not caring where I hit him. With a grunt, I strongly suspected I hit him where the sun never shined, he loosened his grip for half a second. That was enough for me to scramble out of his iron-grip, and I was racing to my dad.

"NO!" I screamed as my feet pounded the wooden floor of the Great Hall. "DAD!"

Not my dad.

Anyone but my dad.

Not my mum
AND dad.

Anyone but my dad.

Voldemort looked at my racing figure, half in amusement. His lips pulled into a horrible smile, his noseless face contorted with sudden happiness. He raised his wand, pointing it at me, and I saw a green flash.

In that split-second, I realised something.

Draco was never mine.

The Dark Mark had branded him forever to Voldemort, whether he wanted to or not.

Voldemort was the reason for all this mess.

He was the reason for my mother's death.

The reason for Draco getting disowned.

The reason as to why many families fall apart.

He is the reason, and he must pay the price.

And I must pay my own.

The last thing I heard was a horrible scream, it was shrill, high and feminine, not my own.

My mind was on one person as I floated into oblivion.

Draco . . . .

. . .

. .

.

___________________
DRACOS P.O.V.
___________________

I stared at Skyler's body, on the ground, not moving.

Everyone was staring at Skyler's body, on the ground, not moving.

Someone screamed bloody-murder. From the corner of my eye, I decided that it was Granger.

The entire Hall barely dared to breath.

I mechanically searched my pockets, a strange numbness overwhelming me.

I must have lost the time-turner in all the events beforehand.

My heart constricted.

"And that is what happens, Frank Taylor," Voldemort began, glaring at Skyler's father, who was staring horror-stricken at the corpse of his daughter. "When you defy me. You, and your entire family shall die."

Frank's eyes flickered over to me, unreadable.

I had let his daughter get herself killed, for good.

The realisation shook me to the bone, but the numbness was still coursing through me, the grief beginning to get stronger.

I spun around and began walking out of the Hall.

Out of the building.

Out of Hogwarts.

The cool air didn't help at all.

From the inside, I heard other shouts calling out "Harry!"

I didn't care, not even Potter could bring someone back from death.

I marched, the muscles in my legs aching, but only a fraction to that of what's breaking my heart.

I was neutral, I realised.

I had no real incentive to fight for the bad, and Skyler was the main reason why I fought for the good.

Without her, I am neutral.

I didn't care about who won or lost this war, even though I would want to kill Voldemort with my bare hands.

The reason that I didn't go back and do so? Because I knew that he would have taken great satisfaction in killing both of us. I weighed my wanting to end my life with Voldemort's annoyance, and I much preferred the latter.

I realised that I had made my way to the Forbidden Forest. Good, I wondered, perhaps a werewolf with come along and eat me.

I sat heavily on the grassy floor, placed my head in my hands and roared into them. The full realisation hit me, and I was enclosed my guilt, self-hatred and horror.

Skyler.

Dead.

Never.

Coming.

Back.

A few things rustled overhead and I strongly suspected that a few birds flapped away at my inhumane sound.

I had no idea how long I stay there, shouting and screaming and crying and who else knows. If there were any werewolves, I'd say that I had scared them away. Taking a deep breath, my hands shaking, I looked up from my fingers to see something glimmering somewhere in front of me.

After a few seconds, curiosity got the better of me, and I was looking for anything to distract myself, so I got up. What's the worst that could happen?

It turned out that the glimmering thing was a small, diamond shaped rock. I picked it up, wondering how such a little pretty thing could have ended up in the Forest, the same way as how Skyler had ended up dead.

Without thinking, my hand tightened around the rock, preparing to throw it as far away as possible from me, when I heard a familiar voice.

"Draco."

My heart skipped a beat. I spun around.

Skyler was standing right there, her body silver.

I spluttered.

She smiled. "That's the Resurrection a Stone, Draco. You called me with it."

"I-I did?"

She smiled sadly and nodded.

"Skyler-I'm so sorry-" I began. If this was the Resurrection Stone, then she was truly gone. My heart splintered into thousands of pieces.

"Don't apologise, Draco. I have learned that I was ready for death a long time ago."

"You mean-you know?" I stuttered.

Skyler smiled, her ghostly dimples showing. I yearned to reach out and touch her. "You were wrong, Draco. The universe did want me dead. But it isn't so bad. Death is a strange thing. You see every second of your life, like a movie, except you also see what other people do to you as well."

I was speechless.

"I'm not angry at you for not telling me Draco, in fact, I thank you for it, because that meant that I could save my father's life today."

"He's still alive?"

"Yes, Harry Potter killed Voldemort as soon as he killed me. You had already left beforehand."

"Skyler," I said, nearing her, my heart bursting. "Where are you? Are you ever going to come back?"

"No, I cannot Draco, I would if I could."

"Could I come to you?" I asked.

"No!" Her ghostly face was contorted with shock. "You will absolutely not go and kill yourself for me! You have an entire life to live, death only chooses those who are ready."

"But-" I began to protest.

"Draco, please," Skyler begged. "Do this for me, as my last request."

I hung my head, tears streaming down my eyes, for I knew that I couldn't say no if she put it that way.

"Draco, one last thing, don't call me up again. You will be driven mad, like the second man in the tale of the Three Brothers."

I nodded defeatedly.

"You are mine and I am yours," Skyler whispered.

I raised my head, wiping the tears from my face. "Like the perfect pieces of a puzzle."

"One heart, two people. It's impossible how we're still alive," Skyler said. "Well, one of us still alive."

"Skyler-" I began again, my voice breaking.

"I love you Draco," she said, her voice beginning to fade away.

"I love you too!" I cried. "Wait, please don't go!"

"Love always wins," she said, her body fading too, as she quoted me from the first night at the cabin. "Forever and always."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________