Chapter 14

Hermione and I began making unnecessary trips to the out-of-order bathroom, during class and during the night, to add ingredients, stir the mixture, change the fire setting, or the like.

By the end of the first week, we were exhausted from effort and lack of sleep.

I barely noticed that Harry and Ginny were a new couple.

*******************

"Oh, not again," Harry groaned, one Friday evening. "Will you please drop it?"

"I'm not dropping it," said Hermione firmly, "until you've heard me out. Now, I've been trying to find out about who might make a hobby of inventing Dark spells........"

I dropped my head and dozed. Hermione has been badgering Harry to leave his Half-Blood Prince's book staying hidden in the Room of Requirement, ever since the events of the bathroom. Harry wouldn't dare get it back now, in the unseen event that Snape may be watching him.

"Her name is Eileen Prince. Prince, Harry." I heard Hermione say.

Harry burst out laughing.

I was between sleep and awareness.

"Where did you get that anyways?" Harry asked.

"The library," answered Hermione predictably.

"You still got detention with Snape this Saturday?" I heard Ron ask, as Hermione stormed off.

"Yeah, and the Saturday after that, and the Saturday after that," Harry sighed.

I didn't get detention, or get in trouble at all. Both Harry and Malfoy testified that I was trying to stop the fight. I expected it from Harry, but I never thought that Malfoy would say it too.........

******************

I was awakened from my nap by someone lightly shaking my shoulder.

I opened my eyes to see Hermione, with her hair frizzier than usual, as if she had been in a humid room. She was holding the pages that we copied from Slughorn's book, as we had to give it back to him soon enough so we won't arouse suspicion.

"It is ready for you, Skyler," Hermione whispered in my ear, taking care that no one heard.

My eyes widened as I fought sleep.

"You don't think that Dumbledore found a Hor-" I heard Ron whisper in the distance.

*********************

Hermione led me to the bathroom. I walked slowly, every step slurred and loud in my head, every heartbeat drumming through me.

This is it.

Finally.

I get to find out the truth.

This is it.

Every thought echoed loudly in my head. My brain somehow knew that it was going to get attacked, it was tender to any noise, however low.

Hermione opened the door to the bathroom. It squeaked, something I've never noticed before, and I winced.

The cauldron was in the middle of the bathroom, its contents transparent and bubbling. The whole room was filled with steam and smoke, explaining Hermione's unruly hair appearance.

Hermione measured the potion into a small glass. Before handing it to me, she stirred it three times clockwise, once anti-clockwise, and then seven times clockwise again, muttering some incantation I couldn't hear.

The potion turned into a bright, bubbly shade of pink. Hermione was satisfied with the strange, sudden colour change, and she handed it to me.

I looked down at the glass.

The potion was pink and bubbly.

Pretty....

And dangerous.

"Are you sure you want to do this, Skyler?" Hermione whispered, her voice thick with concern.

My nod was miniscule.

I gulped down the potion suddenly, wanting to get it done and over with quickly.

I began gagging.

I felt the glass slip from my fingers, and with a loud crash, it broke into a million pieces as it hit the floor.

The room slowly began to fade into darkness.