Chapter 9

The one good thing that came out of Ron's near-death incident is that both Ron and Hermione were talking to each other again.

****************************

On the morning of the Quidditch match between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff, Harry and I went down to visit Ron before the game began.

"So how's McLaggen shaping up?" Ron asked for the third time.

"I've already told you," Harry said patiently, "he could be world class and I wouldn't want to keep him, he keeps trying to tell everyone what to do..."

It was true. Hermione and I witnessed one practise. He drove everyone insane.

"....stop pretending to be asleep when Lavender comes to see you! She's driving me mad as well!" Harry finished.

"Oh," Ron said, looking sheepish, "yeah alright."

"If you don't want to go out with her anymore, just tell her," I interjected, thinking of how happy Hermione would be.

"Yeah... Well... It's not that easy, is it?" Ron asked, looking at me. "Hermione going to look in before the match?" He continued, trying to sound casual.

"No, I think she already went down with Ginny," I replied.

"Oh," said Ron, looking kind of glum.

***********************

We hurried along the corridors, Harry glancing out of the windows to check the weather, until we bumped into Malfoy. My heart sped up automatically.

Malfoy stopped short at the sight of us, then gave a short, humourless laugh, and continued walking. He didn't even look at me.

"Where're you going?" Harry demanded.

"Yeah, I'm really going to tell you, because it's your business, Potter," sneered Malfoy. "You'd better hurry up, they'll be waiting for the Chosen Captain - the Boy Who Scored - whatever they call you these days."

Malfoy pushed past Harry, turned the corner and vanished from view.

Malfoy didn't even acknowledge my presence. Not a smile, nod or even a look. I thought of the night in the Room of Requirement, where he called me beautiful. Did he really lose a bet?

But what about the gold necklace I saw. Could he really have sent me the gold bracelet, keeping the other half of the heart as a necklace?

If he did, then why did he just ignore me? I thought of the note, "My Heart Belongs To You," it said. It doesn't make any sense. My mind was racing. I barely heard Harry as he said, "Come on Skyler," and I rushed to follow him.

************************

It was my first time seeing a Quidditch match since I arrived at Hogwarts, and even then, I wasn't concentrating at all, I was too busy thinking about Malfoy.

The first indication that something was wrong was the gasps of the crowd. It was easy to see what they were staring at, a Bludger was aiming straight for Harry's head.

"Harry!" Hermione screamed, just before a sickening crunch of the Bludger hitting bone echoed throughout the stadium. Screams also resounded as Harry fell off his broom.

"Cracked skull," Madam Promfrey, after Hermione and I rushed to the Infirmary.

"I'm going to kill McLaggen," Hermione said furiously. I couldn't blame her, the guy practically aimed for Harry's head.

**********************

I threw myself into finding anything that could have caused me to lose my memory, but I couldn't. I knew that it wasn't an Obliviate spell, as I wouldn't have been able to remember my feelings afterwards. I still remembered my anger spiking at Malfoy when I first woke up, and then my strange longing for his lap. Every night without fail, I could be found in the library, sometimes staying there after hours, with Harry's Invisibility Cloak around me.

"Blimey, you're starting to spend more time in the library than Hermione," Ron joked one evening, a few days after he and Harry have been discharged from the Infirmary.

"Yeah, I am just a little behind on homework," I lied, hiding my flaming cheeks behind my hands as I cupped my face.

Harry and Ron nodded, both oblivious, but Hermione narrowed her eyes slightly, looking suspicious. Oh, I forgot, she enjoys watching people closely. Thankfully, she didn't comment.

**********************

I walked down the stairs into the common room one night, when I heard Ron, Harry and Hermione having a conversation about getting a memory from some Professor. I shrugged to myself, some things I just didn't want to know. As I walked into the empty common room, there was a loud crack and two house-elves materialised in front of the trio. One of the house elves looked at me in fright, its eyes wide. Harry spun around and saw me. "Oh don't worry Dobby, that's just Skyler, she's our friend, now tell us."

*******************

"Draco Malfoy is a bad boy," squeaked Dobby, "A boy who - who....."

Dobby shuddered and began running to the fireplace. Harry grabbed him before he could throw himself in. If Dobby was trying to hurt himself for attempting to speak badly about Malfoy, then that must mean that he works for them, or at least used to.

"Thank you Harry Potter," Dobby panted, "Dobby still finds it difficult to speak ill of his old masters," Dobby continued, proving my idea.

"Has Malfoy been going anywhere he shouldn't have?" Harry urged.

The other house elf stayed quiet, while Dobby answered Harry's question.

"Harry potter sir," squeaked Dobby, "The Malfoy boy is breaking no rules that Dobby can discover, but he is keen to avoid detection. He has been making regular visits to the 7th floor, with a variety of other students, who keep watch while he enters-"

"The Room of Requirement," Harry finished, hitting himself over the head with a book.

My mind was racing. So when Draco brought me into the room, I was kind of right in assuming that whatever he was planning was in there.

"He's got Crabbe and Goyle transforming into girls with Polyjuice Potion?" guffawd Ron. "Blimey, no wonder they don't look too happy theses days. I'm surprised they don't tell him to stuff it."

"Well, they wouldn't, would they, if he's shown them the Dark Mark," said Harry.

"Hmmm... the Dark Mark we don't know exists," said Hermione sceptically.

"We'll see," said Harry confidently.

I zoned out at this point. I knew that Malfoy was planning something, but really, a Death Eater? Just because his father is one doesn't mean that Malfoy followed his dad's lead.

My mind wandered to that evening in the Room of Requirement. Could the Malfoy who led me in there and called me me beautiful be the same Malfoy who is allegedly a Death Eater? I thought of my bracelet, and me seeing what I thought was the other side of my heart charm around his neck.

Could it really have been him? My mind flashed to the note:

"My Heart Belongs To You," it said, in neat handwriting.

But it doesn't fit, Death Eaters aren't supposed to love.

"Goodnight," Hermione said, making her way to the dorms. I followed silently, my head swirling.