Chapter 49

I hurried down the corridor, hearing commotion near the Great Hall. As I spotted the door, I turned around to face Draco.

"I'll wait here," he whispered, kissing me quickly. "But I'll be near you."

I nodded, and hurried into the Hall, expecting to see people crying.

Instead, I found people getting up, and beginning to make their way out of the Hall, past me, towards the school entrance.

I spotted Hermione, Ron and Ginny, and I pushed my way through the crowd towards them.

"Skyler!" Hermione cried, giving me a hug. "Did you find Harry? Where have you been?"

Hermione's, and Ginny's and Ron's, eyes widened as she took in my appearance. Draco may have healed my wounds, but the evidence, the blood and scars, was still visible. "What happened to you? Are you ok?" She tried to tame my messed-up-to-the-extreme hair. After failing, she pulled out a bobble from her pocket and handed it to me, which I took gratefully.

I shook my head, in answering to her first question. "Long story."

Ginny closed her eyes.

"Harry will be alright," Ron said to his sister, though his tone obviously needed convincing.

Hermione hugged Ginny, and I felt someone slide their arm around my waist.

"Skyler, we need to go," Draco whispered in my ear.

I looked up at him, but I found him glaring ahead. I followed his trail, and found Ron glaring back at him. Both pairs of eyes seemed to be ready to kill each other.

I rolled my eyes. Hermione and I were good friends, so Ron and Draco would have to get along, or at least tolerate, with each other.

Soon we were in the middle of the large push of people leaving the school.

"What's happening?" I asked Draco.

He pressed his lips into a tight line. "Trouble."

I looked up into his face, and opened my mouth to ask him what he meant, when I spotted my parents, making their way outside too. Thankfully they didn't notice me or Draco beside me.

When this is over, I vowed, I will introduce Draco to them.

Draco and I were ushered and pushed outside into the fresh air. I noticed that he led us to the middle of the converging group, whereas Hermione, Ron, Ginny, and in fact, most people hurried to the front, eager to see what was happening.

But even from where Draco and I were standing, on the stairs of the Hogwarts Entrance, we could see perfectly well. Draco was right about the trouble part, though it was a major understatement.

A large group of Death Eaters were making their way up to the school. As they neared, I recognised Voldemort standing in front of them, leading them.

As they neared even more, I saw Hagrid, tied up and beaten, carrying a body.

Harry's body.

I crumbled into Draco, who was already supporting most of my weight, and a silent sob racked through me.

I knew that it was most likely that Harry had gone to Voldemort, but seeing his dead, lifeless, body was evidence that Harry was gone.

Our only chance of getting out of this war was gone, dead.

Draco rubbed my back, and other screams and shouts echoed through the air.

"NOOOOOOOOO!" Professor McGonagall shrieked.

I looked up in mild surprise. I had always known her to be prim and proper, and to never even think about shrieking that loudly.

I craned my neck, and saw that Hermione and Ron were holding back a struggling Ginny, who looked like she wanted to punch Voldemort.

She was lucky, at least she got some fight left in her.

I felt nothing.

The Death Eaters and Voldemort stopped a few hundred feet away from us, formed into a long line, with Hagrid at the front, his face wet with tears as he carried the corpse of The Boy Who Lived.

Voldemort turned to face the crowd, his ugly face contorted into one of pure pleasure.

"HARRY POTTER.......IS DEAD!"

The shouts and cries increased, and Draco's arm held me tighter.

"Do you understand me now, deluded ones? He's nothing but a mere boy who relied on sacrifices from others to survive."

"He beat you!" Ron roared, and the crowd began shouting abuse at Voldemort, but he waved his wand and everyone turned silent at his spell.

"He was killed while trying to escape of the castle grounds. Killed while trying to save himself...." Voldemort said.

Anger boiled inside me. Not enough is it that he kills Harry, but he's going to LIE about it too? I made a movement to move, but Draco's arms held me tight. He shook his head, without looking at me.

Suddenly, someone broke out of the crowd and charged at Voldemort. Voldemort was ready, of course, and he waved his wand at Neville, who fell into the ground with a grunt as his wand flew in the air.

"And who is this?" Voldemort asked.

Bellatrix laughed loudly. "That's Neville Longbottom, my lord! The boy who has been causing all the trouble at school, the son of the Aurors!"

"Ah, yes," Voldemort said, looking down at Neville. "But you are a pure-blood, aren't you, my brave boy?"

"So what if I am?" Neville spat at him.

"You show spirit, and bravery, and you come from noble stock. You'll make a very valuable Death Eater-"

"I'll join you when hell freezes over!! Dumbledore's Army!" Neville shouted. There was an answering cheer from the crowd.

I did not answer. Neville was pushing his limits with Voldemort, and he was going to get hurt, badly.

"Very well, if that's your choice, Longbottom, then we shall stick to the original plan," Voldemort said, his voice a dangerous calm. "On your head it will be."

Then Voldemort paused and looked at the crowd. Immediately I could feel Draco tension up.

"From now on, you put your faith.......in me. Who from you would like to be welcomed into our ranks? Who wants to have the great honour of being my soldier?"

The crowd was silent.

"Draco," I heard a voice say.

He automatically looked at his father, who was on the other side of the court.

"Draco," Lucius whispered loudly again, as if calling him.

Draco didn't move, just stared blankly at his father.

"Draco," Narcissa's voice was much softer, and dare I say, more appealing than her husband's. But Draco still stood his ground.

Voldemort smiled his horrible smile at Draco. "Draco Malfoy, what a pleasant suprise." That caused everyone's attention to be turned to us, where Draco was holding me up. Out of the corner of my eyes, I could see my father, staring at me in horror. "Come over here, Draco, or I will finish the Half-Blood you cling so desperately to." There was a pause. "Yes, something like that must be punished, shouldn't it, Bellatrix?"

Draco immediately let go of me, and he began walking to Voldemort, his face determined. It took me a few seconds to realise what was happening.

"NO!" I shouted, running after him, stumbling on the rubble on the ground. "NO!"

Draco kept walking determinedly towards Voldemort, towards his parents, towards the life he never wanted.

Suddenly, two pairs of arms encased me. I looked at my captures frantically. Hermione and Luna. I struggled.

"Skyler," Hermione whispered furiously. "If you don't stop, Voldemort might kill Draco just to watch you suffer, or the other way around."

I immediately stopped, feeling everyone's eyes, on both sides of the war, on me. I didn't care, instead, I kept my eyes trained on Draco.

He was passing Voldemort. I couldn't see his face for he was turned away.

Voldemort waved his wand, and I gasped, but nothing happened, instead, something flew out of Hogwarts and into Voldemort's hand.

"There will be no more Sorting, no more houses, Slytherin will suffice for everyone, won't it?"

Voldemort pointed his wand steadily at Neville. "Neville here is going to demonstrate what will happen if people are still foolish enough to oppose me."

With that, the Sorting Hat, the one that put me in Gryffindor, fixed itself tightly on Neville's head, and it was on fire, burning his head.

Cries of shock and panic echoed. I took my chance, Hermione and Luna were both distracted, and I ran.