Chapter 28

I don't know how long we stayed like that, I leaning my head on Harry's shoulder, Harry arm around my back. It was surprisingly comfortable, and not at all as awkward as I thought it would be, except every second my heart pounded for Draco.

Suddenly, there was a loud crack from the kitchen, followed by Hermione's cry of surprise, and a lot of commotion.

Harry sprang into action, and taking my hand, ran into the kitchen.

There, on the floor, was Kreacher, and a man I did not recognise, but I guessed was Mundungus.

"Kreacher has returned with the thief, Mundungus Fletcher, Master," Kreacher's croaked.

Mundungus scrambled to stand up and pointed his wand, but Hermione shouted "Expelliarmus," and his wand flew into the air and Hermione caught it.

Mundungus tried to make a run for it, but Ron rugby-tackled him, and eventually, Mundungus collapsed onto the cold, stone floor.

"What? What did I do for ye to set a bleedin' house elf at me, if ye don't let me go I'll-" Mundungus bellowed.

"You're not really in a position to make any threats," Harry said, pointing his wand directly at Mundungus's face.

"We've got a few questions for you," Harry growled.

"I was scared, alright? I didn't know what to do, and I didn't ever volunteer to get you out of yer bleedin' house-" Mundungus began quickly.

"This isn't about you being a coward," Harry snapped.

"Is it about those goblets? I don't have any more of them, but if I did, ye can have-" Mundungus muttered.

"No, but you're getting closer," Harry snapped.

"Sirius never cared for all that junk!" Mundungus exclaimed.

There was a loud bang as Kreacher hit Mundungus over the head with a frying pan. Mundungus cried out in pain.

I couldn't help but giggle slightly as Harry ordered Kreacher to stop, but if Mundungus needed persuading, Kreacher could do the honours. Maybe I was turning mad.

"When you cleaned out the house, there was a locket, where is it?" Harry asked.

"Why, is it valuable?" Mundungus asked.

"You have it?" Hermione asked.

"No, he's probably just seeing if he got enough money for it," Ron replied.

"I bloody well wish, bleedin' gave it away, didn't I?" Mundungus said.

"To who?" Harry asked.

"I don't know, most Ministry hag, with a bow in her hat, looks kind of like a toad," was the reply.

Harry dropped his wand and turned in horror to look at Ron and Hermione, both who mirrored his facial expression.

Who was this woman?

I didn't need to worry as Hermione filled me in all about Umbridge that night. That madwoman!

"Skyler?" Hermione asked quietly, after she bad me goodnight and climbed into her bed.

"Yes?"

"How's Draco?" She asked.

I was glad that it was dark, for my eyes immediately filled up. I couldn't reply, I stayed quiet.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to pry, I just wanted to tell you that I am not mad at you any more, about that topic," Hermione whispered, sensing my tension.

I sighed and tried to wipe my face. Trying to keep my voice normal, I answered. "Oh, thanks Hermione."

Hermione sighed. "It must be hard."

"What is?"

"Being separated from him to help us, that is so very kind of you," Hermione explained.

That one sentence brought me the guilt of the world on my shoulders.

Helping them wasn't my top priority, though it is second.

No.

Freeing Draco from Voldemort was.

*****************

The day of my birthday was the best one yet. It gave me a strange satisfying feeling once I could use magic for even the most mundane reasons.

I walked down the stairs, from the empty bedroom that Hermione and I shared. The entire house was gleaming, perfectly clean. Kreacher seemed to be in better moods these days. The kitchen was empty, other than Ron and Hermione on the table, looking at piles of paper.

"Happy birthday, Skyler," they both said.

Kreacher came along with a large cake for me. "A cake for the birthday girl," he croaked, handing me the entire cake.

"Oh, thank you Kreacher," I said, surprised, I didn't expect to get anything.

Ron smiled at my reaction, though he just might have been daydreaming about eating the cake.

I set the cake down in the table, and saw presents there.

"Guys, you shouldn't have!" I exclaimed. We were in the middle of a war, and were hiding in a house, shut off from civilisation, and yet, they got me presents.

"Nothing to it, Skyler," was Hermione's reply, not looking up from her pages, engrossed.

There was a little pop and I heard the door of the house open. Harry walked into the kitchen, and handed the Invisibility Cloak to Kreacher before he walked over to us.

"Happy birthday, Skyler," Harry smiled, giving me a long hug.

I was surprised by the sudden friendliness of the gesture, but I hugged him back anyways. Over Harry's shoulder, I saw Ron and Hermione exchanging looks. Ron's was triumphant, Hermione's was worried.

After Harry finally let go, he looked around. "I've got news guys, but you won't like it." He pulled the Daily Prophet out of his pocket and dropped it on the table.

"No!" Hermione cried, and quickly picked up the newspaper. "Snape can't be the Headmaster!"

"The teachers wont accept him," Ron said, mimicking Hermione's shock.

"Merlin's pants," Hermione said as she ran out of the kitchen. We all looked after her, confused.

"Merlin's pants?" Ron repeated, laughing. "She must be upset."

After small talk, Hermione rushed back in with an empty photo frame, stuffing it in her beaded bag.

"What's that? Ron asked.

"Phineas Nigellus," Hermione explained simply. Harry nodded, but Ron mirrored my confusion.

"Who?" I asked.

"He has a portrait at the Headmasters office, now Snape's office. Snape could ask him to check here to see if we are here, now if he does, all he shall see is the inside of my bag," Hermione explained.

"Good thinking," Ron said.

***************

"I think we should do it tomorrow," Harry said, during dinner.

Hermione dropped her quill, she was furiously writing something, Ron froze in the middle of taking a bite, and I dropped my spoon.

"But we are not ready, Harry, we need a plan to break into the Ministry and-" Hermione began.

"Hermione, we have stalked the doors of the Ministry for nearly a month now. We have learnt whatever we can learn about the Ministry nowadays and the whereabouts of Umbridge's office. If we wait for another month, we still won't be any more ready," Harry explained. All of us had taken turns to stand by the Official Ministry entrance, covered by the Invisibility Cloak, every morning.

"Alright, let's just say that we do it tomorrow, I think it should only be me and Harry," Ron said slowly.

Hermione and I groaned loudly. Ron hadn't wanted Hermione to go the morning routine, and Harry didn't want me to do it either, both saying it was too dangerous. It was after a particularly loud argument, with Hermione and I threatening to hex the boys so badly that they would never recover, that they finally accepted that we would be fine.

"Don't you dare start that up again," Hermione snapped.

"Hanging around the entrance with the Cloak is one thing, Hermione, but muggle-borns should never go anywhere near the Ministry nowadays, they are rounding them up like cattle," Ron exclaimed.

"And Skyler, your father is a big target for the Death Eaters, what if they capture you and use you to get to your father?" Harry interjected.

"If there's anyone that shouldn't go, it's you, Harry," I said crossly. "You're the one with the ten thousand galleon price on your head!"

"Fine, I'll stay here," Harry said. "Let me know if you ever defeat Voldemort, will you?"

Try as I might, we all started laughing.