Chapter 48

I waved my wand a little further away from Skyler, pointing at the air in front of me, trying to summon the Fiendfyre. I knew the incantation, but I have never tried to cast that spell before, for the obvious reasons. Now it seems like I have no choice.

The wand tip flared suddenly, but then went out, telling me that I have failed.

I tried again.

And again.

And again.

Skyler's face was ashen, her eyes closing for long periods of time. My heart was thudding. What if she went unconscious? Or into a coma? Would I be able to wake her up?

With renewed determination, I attempted again, and it succeeded.

I hurried to control the ball of cursed fire at the edge of my wand. The flames licked the air hungrily. I had to move my wand slowly, so has not to disconnect the ball of flame from it, and I slowly trudged towards Skyler. Her eyes opened slowly as I neared her, and she weakly raised her right arm.

With precision closely connected with a muggle surgeon's, I lowered the ball of flame to the chain that encased her wrist, carefully, without letting it touch her skin.

The black chain began to glow red, and shuddered, and after a few seconds, it dissolved into dust.

Skyler, whose head was swaying, barely lifted her left arm. I pulled it up, and repeated the procedure.

After Skyler was free, I picked her into my arms and laid her down on the couch, and began casting the spells that would help her wounds to heal. By the time I was done, she was too deep in sleep, but her face had regained its colour again. I pulled up a chair, sat opposite her, and waited.

****************

__________________
SKYLERS P.O.V.
__________________

Images of the events that happened to far today flashed in my mind, and I jerked upright, gasping. Draco was sitting in front of me, staring at me intently.

"How long was I out for?"

"Around 20 minutes."

"How long left?" Draco would understand that I was asking about the hour.

"The deadline was a few minutes ago."

I waited.

"And all is quiet," Draco continued.

I nodded, the tears beginning to pool in my eyes.

We both knew what the silence meant.

Harry had given himself up.

The tears began cascading down my face.

"Skyler," Draco whispered, pulling me into a hug.

I didn't know whether he thought if I was crying for what I've just been put through, or what Harry did. I didn't know myself. All I knew was that people had died to give Harry a chance, and that Voldemort had manipulated everyone, so our only chance, and one of my best friends, is now dead.

"Skyler, are you ok?" Draco asked, his hand on my cheek.

I nodded.

"Who sent him, did he tell you?"

"Bellatrix," I replied, shuddering.

Draco's eyes hardened and his jaw set. "What did he want?"

"To know if I was seeing you or not. Don't worry, I told him no," my voice broke.

Draco kissed my lips softly. "I don't care what you may or may not have said to him, you're alive now, that's all that matters."

I nodded.

There was a silence.

I shifted to a standing position.

"Where are you going?"

"Draco, we need to go and see-"

"No!"

"Why ever not?"

"Skyler, don't you have feelings? You have just been tortured by a Death Eater! I am not going to let you out of my sight!"

"Then come with me."

"Correction, I'm not letting you go anywhere at all!"

"But Draco-"

"No buts!"

"Draco, I need to make sure that Hermione and Ron-" I began, but I couldn't continue. They were the only ones left. They were the only ones who knew about the Horcruxes. They were the only ones that knew that we needed to kill the snake and then Voldemort.

Draco sighed. "Skyler, please-"

"No, Draco, I have to do this."

Draco nodded, defeatedly. "Ok, but you're not leaving my sight, or my side. I don't care what happens, you're staying next to me, even if I have to chain you to me with those Dark chains."

I nodded.

Draco stood up, and hugged me, his lips on my forehead. "Let's go."

I felt my pockets for my wand, and I led the way out of the common room, with Draco an inch away.

*****************

I trudged down the dark, dusty corridors, the dust making it very hard to see the ground, which where littered with rubble, which meant I was tripping every few steps.

Draco pressed his hand onto the small of my back, making sure that I don't fall onto my face.

The simple gesture was innocent, but his hand on my back sent shivers through me, shivers that had nothing to do with the cold dampness that filled the school.

On impulse, I nearly pounced on Draco, kissing him like there's no tomorrow.

I don't know why I did it. Maybe it's because he was the only person who could make me forget my surroundings, and where I was, you would have wanted to forget everything too.

Draco, who was taken by surprise, kissed me even harder, making me moan. But he pulled away, too quickly, his eyes questioning. "Skyler?"

I didn't reply, but reached up onto my tip-toes to kiss him again. Draco kissed me back quickly, but pulled away again.

"What's wrong?"

"Kiss me," I almost growled.

Draco's eyebrows furrowed, but then smoothed out, and he smiled. "Don't think that I don't know what you are doing. God knows how hard it is to say no to you."

My face must have looked disappointed, for Draco smirked, his eyes knowing, and said, "you know, if you wanted to get down and dirty, you should have told me in the common room. My dorm was just around the corner."

Heat flooded through me, and I could feel my face blush.

Draco chuckled and kissed my forehead. "Don't worry, Skyler, there's plenty of time to deal with that business after the war. Right now, you need to find Granger and Weasley, or don't you remember?"

At the mention of Ron and Hermione, my mind was snapped back to reality, and without another word, I began making my way up the stairs, nearly running up, with Draco beside me.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________