Chapter 44

I sat down on the nearest chair and thought.

This was it.

The term "Now or Never" really applied to this situation.

Voldemort knew that the Horcruxes were stolen. That WE had stolen them.

He also knows that we would be at Hogwarts to get the last one.

And we really were there.

This was the last chance that we had to destroy Voldemort once and for all. Get the Horcrux, destroy it, then get the snake, kill that too, then it's just Voldemort left, all alone, completely mortal.

But how on earth could we destroy two Horcruxes without the sword? I cursed Griphook for ditching us in the Lestrange's vault.

"Come on, Hermione," I heard Ron say.

I looked up. Ron was pulling Hermione from her seat. Hermione looked absolutely shocked.

"What happened to you guys?" I asked worriedly.

Hermione gulped. "Skyler, the world is ending! Ron just had a good idea!"

Whether Hermione said it for comic relief or not, I couldn't help but giggle. "What do you mean?"

"Well," Ron began. "I was thinking what's the point in getting a Horcrux if we can't destroy it, but then I remembered about the Basilisk in the bathroom!"

"Come again?"

"Harry killed a Basilisk in his second year. It lived in a tunnel from a bathroom. The Sword of Gryffindor could only destroy Horcruxes because its blade was inflicted with Basilisk Venom. So get the venom instead of the sword and we can destroy the Horcrux now!" Ron explained hurriedly.

I looked gravely at Hermione. "You're right, the world is ending!"

Hermione gave a weak smile.

"Shall we go, so?" I asked.

"No, no no," Ron began. "I'll go get it, you guys can stay here."

"Ronald Bilius Weasley!" Hermione snapped. "I am NOT just going to stay here!"

"Neither am I!" I added.

Ron sighed. "Well one of you need to stay here anyways to tell Harry where we're gone!"

I groaned inwardly, knowing that I had to stay so. "Fine, I volunteer, but get back quickly."

Ron and Hermione left without a second to lose, and I sat down again, resumed my thinking.

Voldemort was definitely on his way here.

His main aim was to get and kill Harry.

But he must know that most people at Hogwarts aren't just going to give Harry for a sacrifice.

Which meant that if Voldemort comes alone, then he would have to fight to get to Harry.

But Voldemort wouldn't bother to fight, he'd just send his servants to go kill everybody who stands in his way of getting Harry.

His Death Eaters were his slaves.

Draco was a Death Eater.

Draco was his slave.

Draco will be coming to fight.

The sudden realisation that Draco would be present in Hogwarts was both a blessing and a curse.

The blessing: I would get to see Draco again. My heart sped up happily at the thought.

The curse: he's going to be here, fighting and killing students and teachers, and possibly getting himself hurt....or worse. My heart spluttered at that thought.

I was soon unable to stay sitting and began pacing the Room of Requirement, causing students to look at me curiously.

"Are you alright?" Lavender Brown asked.

"Peachy," I snapped back. "Just peachy." I never had much patience with her, ever since she kind of stole Ron from Hermione last year.

Where were Ron and Hermione? And where was Harry? Images leaked into my mind of them being captured and tortured, and most definitely killed.

I had to suck in a deep breath, and the frame banged open suddenly, and people began flowing out. Mr and Mrs Weasley. Bill and Charlie Weasley. Lupin. Kingsley. Fluer. A few past students that recently graduated. My mum and dad.

My mum and dad.

I gasped loudly, causing them to look in my direction. My feet moved by their own accord and soon I found myself in my mother's arms, and soon my father's.

"What are you guys doing here?" I struggled to keep my voice in control.

"We are part on the Order now, Skyler," my mum said kindly.

"And when we heard the news that Harry was here, we knew that you'd be there too. Always fighting for the good side, aren't you Skyler?" My dad said.

I nodded weakly. I hugged my parents again, just to make sure that they were truly there, that they were real. I hadn't seen them for nearly a year, and one hastily written letter didn't compensate.

"Are you guys fighting too?" I asked.

"What else would we be doing here, dancing?" My dad joked. "Yes we are, dear, and may the sky be the limit."

I nearly rolled my eyes. My dad said that precise sentence to me just before I boarded the Howarts Express at the start of my sixth year. It all seems centuries ago now.

Before I could say anything else, I heard someone shout. "Harry, what happened?" It was Lupin.

I twisted through the crowd, my stomach twisting. I expected Harry and Luna to have returned, both injured. Instead, I found them looking as healthy as ever. My stomach relaxed.

"Voldemort's on his way, they're barricading the school, Snape's run for it.... How are you here? How did you know?"

"We sent messages to the rest of Dumbledore's Army," Fred answered. "And the DA let the Order of the Phoenix know."

"What first, Harry?" George continued. "What's going on?"

"They're evacuating the younger kids, and everyone's meeting in the Great Hall to get organised. We're fighting."

The room erupted in cheers and whoops, mainly from the students. I clapped, even though a sense of foreboding was slowly crawling through me.

There was a great surge to exit the Room.

"Where's Ron and Hermione?" I heard Harry ask from the distance.

I turned around to answer him, but the force of the moving crowd pushed me forwards, towards the Great Hall.

******************

"I know that you are preparing to fight......."

Sudden screams of terror erupted from people. I was sitting on the Gryffindor table, searching for Harry, when I heard the sound. Without a doubt, it was Voldemort. His voice echoed around the Hall.

"Your efforts are futile. You cannot fight me. I do not want to kill you. I have great respect for the teachers of Hogwarts. I do not want to spill any magical blood......."

I suddenly found Harry, standing in between the tables, still and as pale as a sheet.

"Give me Harry Potter, and none shall be harmed. Give me Harry Potter, and I shall leave the school untouched. Give me Harry Potter, and you shall be rewarded......"

"You have until midnight...."

Everything was stock still, and every head, every pair of eyes turned towards Harry, who still have not moved an inch.

"BUT HE'S THERE!" A screamed erupted from a Slytherin girl. She was in my year, and I recognised her to be Pansy Parkinson. "Potter's there! Someone, grab him!"

Before anyone could move, I stood up, angering welling up inside me at the insensitivity of that girl. My footsteps were echoing through the hall as I walked to Harry. Pansy looked surprised, as if she was shocked that someone had actually listened to her.

How wrong she was.

As I neared Harry, I smiled and stood beside him, glaring at Pansy. Soon, the other Gryffindors followed my lead. And the Hufflepuffs. And the Ravenclaws.

"Thank you, Parkinson, for that. Now, you shall be the first to leave," Professor McGonagall said sternly.

All of the Slytherins left, not one chose to fight.

"Ravenclaws, follow on!" McGonagall called.

Soon, there were a handful of Ravenclaws, even more Hufflepuff and most of the Gryffindors, that stayed in the Hall, wishing to fight. McGonagall had to survey a few, as some underage wizards have not left yet.

"Now Potter, I was under the impression that you were looking for something?"

Harry looked stunned.

"Well what are you waiting for?" McGonagall continued.

Harry spun and ran out of the Hall.

He was going to find the Horcrux first, then try to find Ron and Hermione after.

I'll help by trying to find them now.

*****************

I knew, no matter how absurd it was, that Ron and Hermione were in a bathroom.

Which bathroom, on which floor?

I had no idea.

I started on the bottom floor, working my way upwards, checking every single bathroom, boys and girls, for Ron and Hermione.

It wasn't until I finished checking one of the bathrooms on the seventh floor that I found them, hurrying to the Room of Requirement, carrying Basilisk fangs.

"There you guys are!" I cried. I ran to them, needing to explain everything that they missed.

Before I could edge a word out, Harry ran around the corner.

"WHERE HAVE YOU GUYS BEEN?" He said.

"Chamber of Secrets," Ron replied.

"What-?"

"It was Ron's idea, all Ron's idea! Wasn't it brilliant?" Hermione said breathlessly. "There we were, after you left, and I said to Ron that even if we found the Horcrux, we wouldn't be able to destroy it, but then Ron thought of the Basilisk!"

Hermione was thinking along the same lines as me in the Room so, I thought.

"What the-" Harry began.

"To get rid of the Horcruxes," Ron said simply.

Harry glanced at the fangs that Ron and Hermione were clutching.

"But how did you get in there? You needed to speak Parseltongue!"

"Ron did!" Hermione replied.

"So.......so," Harry stuttered.

"So were another Horcrux down, Hermione did the honours, she didnt have the pleasure yet," Ron said, holding up the token, blackened Hufflepuff cup.

"Genius!" Harry exclaimed. As Harry said it, there was a loud bang, strong enough to shake the entire building, and we heard screams.

"I know what the diadem looks like and where it is, come on," Harry said, talking fast.

Harry led us to the Room of Requirement.

"Hang on!" Ron exclaimed. "We've forgotten someone!"

"Who?" Hermione asked.

"The house-elves, they'll be down in the kitchen, won't they?"

"You mean we ought to get them fighting?" Harry asked.

"No, we should tell them to get out. We don't want any more Dobby's around here and-"

There was a loud clatter as Hermione flung down all of the fangs she was holding, and ran at Ron, flinging her arms around his neck and kissed him. Ron also dropped what was in his arms and he kissed Hermione back eagerly.

I looked away hastily, smiling to myself, I didn't want to ruin this seemingly perfect moment.

Of course, being a boy, Harry had to.

"Is this the moment?"

All he got in response was Ron and Hermione kiss each other harder.

"OI! There's a war going on here!"

Ron and Hermione flew apart, and started blushing. I wanted to punch Harry. His two best friends were finally admitting they had something for each other, and he had to ruin it with all this talk of war!

Men!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________