Chapter 24

Every few minutes I would check my watch and Ginny or Mrs. Weasley would ask what time it was. Their own clock was couldn't tell the time.

"Mum, what's that?" Ginny exclaimed, pointing out of the window. Something blue was glowing in the garden. Mrs. Weasley hurried out quickly.

"It is Ron's and Tonks's portkey. They must have missed it!" Mrs. Weasley cried. She came back and began peeling the potatoes with a little more force than necessary, her eyes darting to the window every few seconds. "Dad and Fred should be arriving next," she muttered.

Indeed, after a few minutes, Mrs Weasley cried again. "They also missed their portkey! Something is wrong!" Ginny and I helped Mrs. Weasley back inside the house. As we got her to the door, I heard a commotion behind me. Mrs. Weasley turned around and ran towards a Harry and Hagrid.

"Harry? You're the real Harry, right? What happened? Where are the others?" Mrs Weasley cried.

"The Death Eaters knew it was tonight, and You-Know-Who was there and he attacked me and Hagrid and........" Harry uttered, shaking from head to toe.

Mrs. Weasley pulled him into a hug. "Thank goodness that you're alright," she said.

"Molly, you wouldn't have any brandy, do you, for medical purposes?" Hagrid said shakily.

Ms. Weasley tended to Hagrid, and Ginny and I both hugged Harry.

"Oh Harry, we were so worried about you!" I cried, giving him a tight hug.

"Is no one else back?" He asked.

"No, Ron and Tonks missed their port key, and so did Dad and Fred," Ginny explained. "Come on in."

Harry looked away.

"It's not your fault Harry," I said, knowing what he was thinking, "Everyone will be fine."

Another blue light appeared and Lupin and George appeared afterwards. Lupin was supporting George, who had blood all over his face. Harry ran and helped Lupin carry George into the house, and they carefully placed him in the couch. Ginny was crying and it was easy to see why. One of George's ears were missing.

As soon as Mrs. Weasley cleaned George's wound, Lupin grabbed Harry and pushed him a against the wall, Lupin's wand at his face. "What creature was in the corner of my office the first time Harry entered it?" He shouted.

"A Grindylow!" Harry said.

Lupin let go of Harry, and Ginny rushed forward.

"What was that about?" She yelled.

"We have been betrayed, I had to check that he was the real Harry," Lupin explained apologetically.

I nodded in understanding, pulling Ginny away, who looked like she was about to jump on Lupin.

There was more commotion outside, and Lupin, Harry, Ginny and I raced out.

Hermione and Kingsley just arrived. Hermione raced and hugged Harry, Ginny and myself. Kingsley raised his wand and checked that Lupin and Harry were the real ones.

"Someone betrayed us! Who else is back?" Kingsley asked.

"Just Harry, Hagrid, George and myself," Lupin replied.

Hermione stifled a sob in her hand. I patted her back gently. Ron would be alright.

They all began making their way in the house to check on George when they heard a shout.

"You can check who I am after I've seen my son, now get out of the way if you know what's good for you!" Mr. Weasley bellowed as he ran past Kingsley's and Lupin's wands. Fred followed.

"How you doing Georgie?" Fred asked, staring at his twin, horrified.

"Saint-like," George replied.

"Was his mind affected?" Fred whispered bewilderedly.

"I'm holy Fred, get it.... holey?" George joked.

Fred rolled his eyes. "Pathetic! Unbelievable! The whole world of ear related humour, and you go with "I'm Holey"?" Fred said as he hugged George.

******************

It was another while before we heard any news from Ron and Tonks.

"It's them!" Hermione had screamed.

Everyone scrambled out the door as Tonks and Ron materialised in front of our eyes. Hermione ran into Ron's waiting arms. Ron later hugged Harry and me.

"He deserves that," Tonks said as she watched us all hug Ron. "I wouldn't be standing here without him."

***************

After Harry and Hermione recounted their journeys to Ron, a Threstral landed a few feet away, revealing Bill and Fluer. Mrs. Weasley ran and hugged her son. Bill looked directly at his father and said, "Mad-Eye's dead."

Everyone stopped talking immediately and stared.

"Mundungus took one look at You-Know-Who and Dissapparated, and then Mad-Eye was hit in the face with the curse and he fell of his broom, we saw it, and there was nothing we could do, we had a dozen of them on our trail..." Billy's voice broke. Fluer was standing beside him, her face shining with tears.

Someone sent glasses of FireWhiskey around. Everyone took one. "Mad-Eye," Bill said.

"Mad-Eye," everyone repeated, drinking.

***************

I had zoned out at this point. We didn't even begin the dangerous journey and someone had already died. How much more? And what if we failed? Would the whole wizarding world live in fear forever? Would Draco?

"No," Harry said suddenly. I snapped back to reality. "Someone here may have let something slip accidentally, but no one has done it on purpose, no one here would ever sell me to Voldemort," he said confidently.

Lupin looked at Harry with pity that could have been seen for miles.