Chapter 27

I woke up to someone shuffling. I opened my eyes slightly and saw Harry's shadow leave the room that Ron, Harry, Hermione and I were sleeping in, all in the sleeping bags.

I glanced at Ron and Hermione, wondering if they noticed Harry's silent departure. Hermione's hands were curled up close to Ron's. I felt utter sadness. My heart broke as it longed for Draco's hands.

Not wanting to be here for much longer, I decided to investigate what Harry was up to. I slipped out of the sleeping bag and shadowed him up the stairs.

Harry had slipped into a door, with the nameplate "Sirius" on it. He was entering his godfather's room. I was unsure of what to do, Harry might want some privacy as he walked into the room, Sirius was Harry's last family, after all.

After a few minutes, I decided that it was time to show my my presence. I opened the door slightly and peeked in.

"Harry?" I whispered.

Harry didn't seem to hear me, or maybe he decided to ignore me. He was sitting at the edge of the bed, clutching a letter in his hand. As I neared him, he quickly wiped his face from the tears he didn't want me to see.

"Harry," I said again, unsure of what to do.

Wordlessly, Harry handed me the letter as he searched the room for something. I realised that this letter was written by his mom, and that Harry was searching for the next page of it, as the letter was unfinished.

Harry found a picture, but it was torn. He tucked it away in his pocket, but not before I saw a little black-haired boy racing around the picture in a broomstick, and a male pair of legs, probably his father, running after him. It was the picture that Harry's mum had described in the letter. Harry's face was barely neutral as he continued to search for the second half of the letter.

I stayed quiet, unsure of what to do or say that could help his broken heart, especially since mine was torn too. I stared at the last line, "It seems incredible that Dumbledore-" and the ending was lost.

"Harry? Skyler?" called Hermione's voice.

"We are in here," Harry called back. "What's wrong?"

"We woke up and didn't find both of you," Hermione explained, hurrying into the room. "Ron, I found them!" she shouted behind her back.

Ron's voice echoed up the stairs. "Great, tell them that I'll kill them if they do something like that again!"

"Look what I found," Harry said, looking at me, and I handed the letter to Hermione. She quickly scanned it. "And this too," Harry continued, handing her the picture. "I can't find the second half of the letter."

Hermione looked around. "Did you make all of this mess, or was it like this?"

"I didn't make most of it," Harry replied.

Hermione sighed. "Every room I checked was also like this. Someone has been here, searching for information in the Order."

"Snape?" Harry suggested.

Hermione shook her head. "He doesn't need to look through the whole house for information, he was in the Order in the first place," she said.

Harry and Hermione bickered at Harry's urge to go visit Godric's Hollow to talk to Bathilda Bagshot, and I didn't pay attention. My mind was on Draco, and wondering what he was doing, and praying that he was alright.

"Shall we go down to the kitchen? See what we can make for breakfast?" Hermione asked, breaking my reverie.

Harry nodded, and we began walking down the stairs.

Suddenly, Harry gasped and ran up a few steps and stood in front of a door.

I followed him, with Hermione oblivious to our disappearance. On the door was a sign.

"Do not enter, without the permission of Regulus Arcturus Black" it said.

"Hermione," Harry said calmly, "come back up here!"

Hermione's head turned. "What's wrong Harry?"

"R.A.B. I think I found him," Harry's voice called. I knew what he was talking about, the locket that Harry and Dumbledore went to get, thinking that it was a Horcrux.

Hermione's footsteps rushed up the stairs. "Harry, your mum's letter didn't say anything......."

"Not the letter," Harry said. He pointed at the door.

"Sirius's brother?" Hermione whispered.

"He was a Death Eater, Sirius told me, and he got cold feet and tried to leave, but they killed him." Harry's voice was excited.

"It fits! He would have known what Voldemort was doing and where he would have hidden them," Hermione's voice mirrored Harry's excitement.

My blood thicken. They killed him as he tried to leave? Is that what Voldemort does to his followers? Would that be Draco's fate, if he ever decided to leave? My heart slowed as I tried to fight the tears that came to my eyes.

"Ron? RON? Get up here quick," Hermione shouted.

As Ron rushed up the stairs, I backed away quickly, beginning to make my way down.

"Skyler, where - are you alright?" Ron asked, looking at me in concern.

Hermione and Harry turned to look at me.

"I just feel a little sick," I lied. "I'm going to just lie down."

Hermione smiled at me kindly, and Ron patted my back, but Harry gave me a long look with his green eyes, before filling Ron in on what has happened so far.

I stumbled down the stairs and made my way to the living room, where we slept in the night. I curled in my sleeping bag and finally broke down in silent sobs.

I knew that this mission was near impossible. I knew that we might die in the end. And I knew that if we did, or if we failed, Draco would also die in the end.

The thought of Draco dying because of me brought new tears to my eyes.

When had my life become so difficult?

**************

Hermione found me about an hour later, filling me in about the Locket, and Harry sending Kreacher looking for the person who looked through the house and stole it, Mundungus Fletcher.

Harry was restless for the whole day, walking around the house every few minutes, waiting for Kreacher's arrival.

Kreacher didn't return for a few days. We all waited in silence.

The only interesting thing that happened was that two people, Death Eaters, we guessed, stood by the road, staring at the house, until late at night.

***************

The door of the house clicked open, and we all stood up, alert. Had the Death Eaters managed to get in?

Harry and Ron rushed to the door, their wands in their hands, and Hermione stayed near me, acting as my guard, as I was still underage. I had just about one more week left.

"Hold your fire, it's me, Remus," called a familiar voice.

Hermione relaxed, and from the hallway, I could hear Ron sighing as well, but Harry's voice was cold as he said, "Show yourself."

"I am Remus John Lupin, werewolf, sometimes known as Moony, one of the four creators of the Marauder's Map, married to Nymphadora, usually known as Tonks, and I taught you how to produce a Patronus, Harry, which takes form of a stag," called Lupin.

Hermione relaxed fully and we began making our way to the exhausted, but pleased-to-see-us, Lupin.

******************

"So..... Do you accept my offer? Shall the four become five?" Lupin asked.

Hermione, Ron and I all looked at Harry.

"Just to be clear, you want to leave Tonks at her parents house, and come with us?" Harry asked.

Lupin sighed. "I'm doing it for the greater good Harry, I'm sure James would have understood-"

"You really think so? Because I'm not sure. I know that he would have wanted to understand why you aren't sticking with your own kid actually," Harry replied coldly.

I could hear Hermione suck in a gasp.

"You don't understand," Lupin replied, eyes wide, his face pale.

"Explain then," Harry retorted.

"I should have never married her, I've now made her an outcast, and the child, my kind don't usually breed, the innocent child may be exactly like me, and if not, he would be much better without a father who he is ashamed of..." Lupin said desperately.

"Remus, stop, why would your child be ashamed of you?" Hermione whispered, tears in her eyes.

"I don't know Hermione, I would certainly be ashamed of him," Harry replied coldly, his tone cutting the room's atmosphere like a knife to butter.

I stifled a gasp. I had never hear Harry be so rude to anyone before, especially not to a person who used to be his teacher.

Lupin looked like Harry had just smacked him. "Don't you dare-"

"I would have never believed this, the man who taught me to fight Dementors, a coward....." Harry sneered.

Lupin stood up suddenly and whipped out his wand, sending a spell at Harry, who flew to the wall and hit his head with a crunch. Lupin spun and marched out of the house.

"Remus, wait don't - " Hermione called, but it was too late, the door banged shut.

I hurried towards Harry, who was slumped on the floor and helped him up. He squeezed my arm gratefully.

"Don't look at me like that!" He snapped at Hermione. No doubt she was looking at him accusingly.

"Don't you start at her!" Ron snarled.

"We mustn't fight!" Hermione cried.

I squeezed Harry's shoulder, trying to silently tell him to calm down. Harry took a few deep breaths.

Ron, noticing that Harry calmed down, said, "you should have said all that stuff to Lupin."

Harry glared at Ron. "Parents shouldn't leave their kids unless - unless they've got to." Everyone noticed the double meaning to his words.

"Harry - " Hermione began, reaching out a consoling hand to him. Harry shrugged it off and stormed out of the room, leaving Ron, Hermione and I in a deadly silence.

Both Ron and Hermione looked at me, silently telling me to go after him.

I mentally rolled my eyes and followed Harry.

*****************

Harry made it as far as the living room where we slept. He sat down on the couch, his back away from the door, and his head bowed.

"Harry?" I asked tentatively.

Harry jerked his head and saw me, he forced his lips into a forced smile.

I sat down beside him.

"I know that I shouldn't have called him a coward," Harry commented.

I smiled. "No, I don't think you should have."

"But if it makes him to go back to Tonks, it would have been worth it, right?" Harry asked, looking at me, his bright green eyes pleading.

I sighed. "I don't know Harry, maybe nothing ever goes back to what it was like before." My mind flitted over to Draco. My heart physically ached.

Harry stared at me, before nodding. He looked away from me, his eyes brighter than before. I knew that he was remembering the sentence that he said to us. Parents shouldn't leave their kids unless - unless they've got to.

I leaned my head on his shoulder. "It's going to be alright Harry, everything will be fine," I muttered, lying to both myself and Harry.

From the looks of things, I couldn't possibly see how this was going to be fine.