Chapter 46

The doctor tells Daniel, Sam and I that apparently I need to go in surgery now because there's still a fragment of the bullet lodged in my back and that lead fragments have caused an infection.

Daniel suggests that I go in immediately. Part of me doesn't want to do this. It's just another hassle and so much is already going on.

Sam kisses my forehead. "You'll be fine."

I bring my lips into a smile. Somehow he can always make me feel okay.

Sam's mother, Claire walks in with panadol and a glass of water. "Take this, hopefully it'll help a little."

Everyone walks out of Daniel's room to let me rest.

I'm about to close my eyes when my phone rings. I reach over, wincing from the pain as I grab my phone of the bedside table.

Unknown number.

I answer it. "Hello?"

"Vi."

When I hear my name, my heart drops.

"You have no right calling me that."

"I know you're angry but..."

I cut him off. "Angry? Heck angry is such a small word for I feel about you."

"Just listen to me."

"No! Why should I? You haven't given me one good reason to."

"If for no other reason then at least listen because I'm your father."

A tear drops from my eye, wetting my cheeks.

That's when I notice Max. He's standing by my door. I don't know what to do. Daniel told me he hasn't stepped out of his room since he's been back. Do I invite him in? Do I talk to dad?
Do I hang up on dad?

Max signals if he can come in. I give a nod to instruct him he can.

"I got to go," I say as I hang up on my father. The man I haven't talked to in years.

Max walks in and sits on the edge of my bed. "Can I talk to you?"

I don't know what to do so I say "sure."

"I'm saying this to you because everyone else seems to know each other and you and I are probably the odd ones out."

I nod my understanding.

"Do you trust them? I don't know if I can."

"Look Max, I can't tell you what to do. I wish I could but it would be wrong. I actually had a love-hate relationship with your brother Sam but he proved himself. They're good people, and they're your family. If you don't trust me for anything then at least trust me for the sake that I was stabbed trying to save you. I took a knife for you because I cared about you."

He nods. "I heard. The nurse told me. I really do appreciate it and I'm truly sorry you had to face that because of me."

I shake my head. "It wasn't your fault."

"Friends then?" He stretches his hand out.

I smile. "Friends!" I say as I grab his hand and shake it.

He smiles back. "I already like you."

"You okay though?"

"I am. Mind if stay here for a while."

"Yea. Why don't I load a movie in and we can watch."

"Sounds good."

I rummage through Daniel's stack of movies, shoving a few in the air for Max to see.