Complications

It had been eight days days since the operation and Zayn was still in hospital. He was supposed to have gone home the day after the operation but there were new complications arriving constantly. Doctors were becoming very concerned, Zayn's blood pressure was extremely low and his heart rate was too slow for their liking. Zayn was very fatigued and constantly sleeping, he also had to have a breathing mask now as his blood oxygen levels were continuously dropping. Leigh Anne and Jade heard about what was going on and offered to take Niall and Harry until Zayn was better but Liam and Louis didn't want to bother them to watch both kids that long especially since they didn't know how long it was going to be but they insisted so Louis let them take Harry. He'd been staying with them for about six days now and at first he was extremely scared and constantly crying because he wasn't used to nights without his fathers but he adapted pretty well because he was familiar with Leigh Anne and Jade. He also was easily distracted by playing with Perrie plus Liam and Louis called him multiple times a day promising they'd would come get him as soon as Zayn was better. They sent Niall to Liam's mum's house for a week then Liam picked him up because he didn't want to make his mum watch him for any longer than that, she still worked and so did his dad and he felt bad for messing with their schedules even though they assured him it was fine. Liam, Louis, Marcel,and Niall were all sitting in Zayn's hospital room as he slept. None of them besides Niall who didn't really understand what was happening have slept much these past eight days as they were all too worried about Zayn. Louis looked over at the bed and saw Zayn breathing harder and more staggered than before, this worried Louis and he jumped up and pressed the call button for the nurses. Zayn began gasping for breath and choking in his sleep as a nurse ran in. She looked at all the monitors and then hurriedly rushed everyone out of the room before taking out her pager.

"Code Red in the ICU!" Code Red?! That scared the shit out of Louis, Liam, And Marcel and Louis and Marcel both started sobbing. Liam placed a sleeping Niall down on his portable car seat and hugged Marcel and Louis, comforting them even though he wanted to cry too. How had something that was so easily curable turned into this? They watched as doctors and nurses rushed in the room and surrounded Zayn, sticking him with needles, connecting him to machines, and speaking in hospital terms that none of them understood. Then all of a sudden Zayn's bed was being wheeled off towards the operating room again.

"He needs emergency surgery, we'll tell you more later." Louis and Marcel just sobbed harder and Liam finally let a tear slip, his first born's life was in danger and he couldn't do anything about it.

An agonizing two hours later and a doctor came out to meet them. He shook all their hands then asked them to have a seat.

"I-is my b-baby o-okay?" Louis cried.

"He's stable now and we were able to fix the problem but he still needs to stay here for at least another week for observation. We found out what it was that was causing the fatigue, low oxygen levels, low blood pressure, and slow heart rate. A few of his blood vessels had begun to tear and then they finally burst, releasing blood into his lungs which is what caused his episode earlier today. We sewed up the vessels and drained the blood from his lungs but we need to make sure they don't reopen. It's a good thing we operated when we did, it would have become fatal within minutes. He's back in recovery now if you want to go see him, he should be waking up any minute now." They thanked the doctor and followed him back to recovery where Zayn was peacefully sleeping. They all kissed his forehead and cheeks and Marcel pulled up a chair and sat next to his bed, holding his hand. Liam cuddled Louis on the small couch while Louis held Niall who was now awake and playing with one of his toys he brought from home.

Twenty minutes later they heard Zayn let out a small groan, his eyelids fluttered and then opened but he shut them right away due to the light. Marcel jumped up and turned the lights off and Zayn opened his eyes again. He looked around at everyone then burst into sobs. They were all quick to be by his side and comfort him.

"What's wrong Zee? Are you in pain?" Louis asked in concern while stroking the boy's hair.

"I was so scared papa, I thought i was gonna die." He whimpered. Louis and Liam cooed at him and continued comforting him.

"It's okay baby, you're okay now, we're here." Liam said. Marcel leaned down and pecked his lips quickly, whispering an "I love you." Niall didn't really understand what was happening but he hated seeing Zayn cry so he wiggled out of Louis' arms, getting onto the bed with Zayn. Zayn smiled weakly at Niall through his tears.

"No Cwy Zee, it otay, Ni make it no hurwt." He leaned up and kissed Zayn's nose. Zayn sniffled and smiled a bit.

"Thanks Ni Ni, I feel a lot better now." He kissed the baby's cheek and allowed Liam to pick Niall back up. Zayn was worn out just from that conversation so they told him to go back to sleep and that they'd be here when he woke up. He nodded and quickly drifted back to sleep.

A week later and they were finally letting Zayn go back home but he had strict orders from the doctor that he couldn't go to school for another week and he was on bed rest and only was allowed to be out of bed one hour a day at most. Zayn was dreading it but Marcel told him it'd be okay and that he'd take care of him. Zayn lovingly thanked his boyfriend and pecked his lips as they wheeled Zayn out to the car, helping him in before picking up Harry and driving home.

Thank you to @Tommogirl98 and @Ilangel1 for the prompts. <3 I'll be uploading a few more chapters today.