"My self esteem has taken a major hit from you."

Harry

Oh fuck. She does not look impressed.

When Carmen starts walking towards me I stand from my place on the front step. Her friend waves and walks right by us, Carmen stopping in front of me. Her her is pulled back in a ponytail, her cheeks rosy either from practice or from being angry with me. She's wearing a dry-fit tanktop and baggy sweatpants and honestly, she looks hot as hell.

"What are you doing here?" she asks. Irritation is evident in her tone and suddenly I don't even remember why I came here in the first place.

"Umm..."

She folds her arms and raises her eyebrows, waiting for me to explain myself. I don't know why I ever thought this would be a good idea.

"I wanted to talk to you," I finally choke out. Smooth, Harry, good start.

"Okay..."

"Umm...okay look, I know you don't like me." She laughs a little and rubs her forehead. I don't see this going as well as I'd hoped. "But we're both friends with Liam and we go to the same school so we're going to cross paths."

"Harry, this isn't high school," she says tiredly. "We don't have to be friends."

"I know, I just think for Liam's sake maybe we should at least try to get along," I explain. She sighs. "He doesn't need to be constantly playing referee between us."

She bites her bottom lip and looks away from me, probably mulling over my reasoning. I know the key to getting her to tolerate me would be using Liam as an excuse. I plan on sticking around and it's true, we share a friend that is going to eventually grow tired of listening to our bickering. Well, more listening to her hate me while I flirt like a wimp.

"Fine," she says finally. "I guess Liam doesn't need to listen to us fight all the time."

"To be fair, I don't try to fight with you. You just hate me for no reason," I tease, smirking at her. She rolls her eyes.

"This is going to be a lot harder than I thought," she mumbles. She steps up to her door. "If you want me to try to pretend to be your friend, you're going to have to stop calling me Carter."

"I just get confused." She rolls her eyes again as she opens the door and I just laugh. It's so easy to get her going.

"Goodnight, Harry."

"See you around, Carmen."

When I use her real name she smiles at me. It's small, but it's there and that's a start. After she disappears I just stand there for a minute, smiling at the door like a fucking creep. I don't know what this girl is doing to me. Why do I decide to feel like this about someone that can't stand the sight of me?

I finally make myself leave the house. When I get to the end of the driveway the front door opens and a girl I recognize from when we were here this morning runs over to me.

"Hi," she says happily. She looks back at the house and then to me. "I'm Kayla, I'm a friend of Carmen's."

She holds her hand out for me to shake. "I'm Harry."

"How do you know Carmen?"

"Uh..." Oh, we fucked last weekend and now I can't get her out of my head. "I live with her friend Liam."

"Oh, okay." she nods and I can see that she's trying not to smile. She can probably see that I'm lying. "Anyway, I just wanted to say that she might seem like a bitch, but she really isn't."