26

"Okay then. Glad we cleared that up."

Carmen

Why girls wear dresses I'll never understand. The entire time consists of holding it down so nothing important is showing and making sure the minimal fabric covers what needs to be covered. Open backs, straps, no straps, high-low, max, short, who the fuck cares? Why can't I just wear jeans?

"Ivy, I don't like this one either," I tell her from inside the fitting room. I told her Harry is taking me out for dinner and she insists on me getting something new to wear, even though I still have the dress my Dad bought for me that I've only worn once. But apparently since Harry has seen it already I have to get something new.

"Show me."

With a huff I open the door and step out. The dress is red, so the colour is too bold for me. I didn't even want to try it on, but she made me. She makes a face.

"I told you. It sucks."

"Okay," she says, sighing. "Try the next one. Black is probably your safest bet."

"I really don't think Harry is expecting me to wear a dress," I say from inside, pulling the material over my head. The next one is a little less daunting, simple black cotton with long sleeves, a modest 'v' neckline and a cutout in the back below my bra. If I had to say that I like a dress, I would probably say that I like this one.

"Harry will appreciate it, trust me."

"Yeah, but it's not even really a date." I step out and stand in front of the mirror. "At least, he didn't say it was a date."

"You look amazing!" she squeals, jumping up from her seat. It startles me, and she stands beside me to fiddle with my hair and the neckline. "It makes your boobs look really good."

"Shut up," I laugh, swatting her away.

"And you're going out for dinner with just the two of you, that's about as date-like as it gets. He may not have expressed it, but you seriously aren't dumb enough to think he doesn't see it as a date, right?"

"For the sake of my sanity can we pretend it isn't one?"

"Umm...no."

I roll my eyes. "Okay, fine. Something else happened, though."

"What?"

"He umm...he asked if I wanted to spend Christmas with him. Like at his home. In England."

Her mouth drops open and I fiddle with the hemline of my dress. When Harry asked me that...to say I was surprised would be the understatement of the century. We aren't even together, so to go home with him for a whole two weeks and spend Christmas with his family...it's a big deal. It's a really big deal. I'm flattered that he asked me, that he would be okay with me spending all that time with his family, but it's not just a casual afternoon hanging out. I would be there with them for two weeks in a place I've never been before with people I've never met. It's terrifying.

"Holy shit," she says. "What did you say?"

I shrug. "I said I would think about it. I had already told Liam I'd stay with him, so I would feel bad not going now."

"Carmen, you have to stop doing that."

"Doing what?"

"Hiding behind Liam. This would be good for you. See a new place, spend time with Harry, meet his family. I know you guys aren't 'together,' but you might as well be and this is what couples do. Your Dad isn't coming home, anyway. Spend your break with someone you care about."