51

"Good luck."

Carmen

I really hate airports. Like, really hate them. At least this time it's me getting on a plane and not my Dad but still. I don't like it. I don't like being here at all, there's too many bad memories. There's a heavy feeling in the pit of my stomach that makes me think this might be an addition. I guess it could be a good one but...that doesn't seem to be the trend in my life. Harry keeps telling me to be positive. I'm trying, but it's not easy.

"Just...just one more minute," I murmur, staring out the window at the airport. I hear a seatbelt unbuckle and Harry slides across the seat, his arm moving around my shoulders.

"I know you're nervous," he says quietly. "But Lou needs to move the car. We aren't supposed to park here."

I feel his lips through my hair and take a deep breath, nodding slightly to acknowledge what he said to me. Slowly but sure my seatbelt unclicks and Harry reaches across me to push the door open.

"Thanks, Louis." I smile small at him and he turns around.

"Good luck, kid. Take a picture of Oprah's house for us."

"Make a loop. I'll call you when I'm out," Harry says. He climbs out of the car after me and walks around to the back to get my bags while I stare up at the stupid airport. Airports are the worst. The absolute worst.

"Okay?" Harry takes my hand and gives it a gentle squeeze.

"Okay."

He takes a step forward and starts tugging me towards the doors with my luggage in his other hand. When the doors slide open my stomach jumps into my throat and I feel the beginnings of a panic attack coming on.

People walk every which way around us, little children screaming and running around while parents tend to them. Older couples look on disapprovingly and the airport employees do their best to maintain some kind of order. Everything is muted, like I've got earmuffs on or something. While Harry and I wait in line to check my luggage I find myself wishing the line was longer, just like when I bring my Dad here.

"You have your carry-on?" Harry asks. I nod. He squeezes my hand again and we move a little closer than before. "Passport?"

"Yeah, I've got it."

"Okay. Do you need some money? I have some cash if you need-"

"No, Harry. I don't need money from you." I almost laugh but I don't want to be mean. Harry nods and I squeeze his hand back this time. "I don't...I just want you here."

He smiles and pulls me closer, lifting his arm around my shoulders. He pulls us forward and I wrap my arms around his middle to make sure he doesn't get too far. It's terrifying how much I've come to depend on this boy. It's exactly what I didn't want and exactly what I needed. Our relationship may be complicated, but Harry is the only stable thing in my life.

Once we've made it through the queue and got my bags checked in, Harry leads me towards the entrance for security. He won't be able to go through security since he's not coming with me. It seemed like a good idea at the time...now I'm wondering why the hell I didn't get him a ticket too.

"Do you want to get some breakfast?" I ask Harry.

"Shouldn't you go through?"

"I have time." Before he can reason with me I take his hand and tug him towards the small cafe in this area of the airport. The old woman behind the counter reminds me of Marla, and when the middle-aged man in front of us begins to get irritated with her I feel my protective instincts start to kick in. Harry laughs a little and tugs me closer to him. I could kick someones ass for sure.