32

"I could do this forever."

Carmen

"I think you should wear a tie tonight," I tell Harry as we pull out of the small gravel lot by the field he took me to.

"You do?"

"Yeah, you'd look sexy in a suit," I mutter, leaning on the console with my chin rested on my fist. He looks at me with raised eyebrows and lets out an awkward choking kind of laugh. It's interesting to see him so nervous.

"Don't say things like that," he says quietly. "I'm still trying to calm down."

I just laugh and lift myself to kiss his cheek. This afternoon was amazing, and I can only imagine what tonight will be like. Hopefully we get some alone time, but...I mean we can wait. We can...yeah, we can totally wait. I think.

"Quit staring at me," he says, not taking his eyes off the road.

"You're so pretty, though."

"Pretty," he repeats, shaking his head. "Every man's dream is to be called pretty by his-"

He stops short and clamps his mouth shut. My heart starts hammering and my insides are screaming at me to finish his statement and just acknowledge the fact that realistically, yes, I am his girlfriend. But I can't, so I don't. Why won't he just ask me? I mean...yeah, I get that he'd be a little nervous since it's me, but with everything that's happened over the last few days I think it's pretty safe to say that I'm feeling the same way he is.

"What are you doing?" I ask as Harry pulls off to the side of the road.

"You're going to drive," he says, putting the car in park and smiling at me.

"What? Harry-" He gets out and shuts the door before I can respond, and I remain firmly planted in my seat while he walks around to my side. When the door opens I'm already shaking my head.

"Come on," he laughs. "Just try. There's no one around and we're two streets over from my house."

"I don't want to crash your car. Or kill you."

"Carmen, you're not going to kill me. The car works the same."

"But I have to drive on the wrong side of the road."

Harry takes my hand and pulls me out of the car. As I'm about to argue again he kisses me, and the cold air whipping around us adds to the warm feeling of his lips against my own.

"Just try," he says. He turns me around and pushes me forward, gently hitting my ass as I walk around. He laughs when I glare at him, both of us getting back in on the opposite sides. When I sit down and put my seatbelt on I just sit there for a moment, trying to get used to being on the wrong side.

"This is so weird," I mumble. Harry laughs.

"Everything works the same. Just keep going straight. Do you remember which street to turn onto?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"Good. Okay, go ahead."

I take a deep breath and put the car in drive. There really aren't any cars around, so when I pull out it's not hard. It's strange, though. So strange. I can feel Harry staring at me the whole time, but I feel like I'm sixteen again with my Dad teaching me to drive. Both hands on the wheel, barely going the speed limit, my eyes focused so hard on the road that I don't even notice anything else.

"Turn right," he reminds me, pointing to the next street ahead of us. I nod and slow down like crazy. It's so disorienting to be on the left side. When I pull into the driveway Harry starts clapping and I laugh as I reach over to hit his arm.