53

"You trying to steal my girl?"

Carmen

The weekend has been...good. Really good, actually. Mostly because I've spent the last two and a half days with Jayden. He showed me is expansive art collection and taught me a few of his favourite 'techniques' that I was never quite good enough at. Todd's been working a lot and Evan has avoided me like the plague. Gale's kind of been doing her own thing, acting like this is a normal weekend. Which I actually really appreciate, because if she acted like it was a miracle that I came here it would make me a little uncomfortable.

"I see another one!" Jayden points up at the sky and lets his hand fall to the ground again. We took some blankets out here so we could watch the stars wake up. Apparently that's what he calls it.

"Me and my Dad used to this all the time," I tell him.

"Where is your Dad?"

"He's away. I don't get to see him a lot."

"My Dad is gone a lot too," he says. "But he plays games with me when he comes home so I don't mind so much."

"You're lucky."

"My Dad will play games with you too, if you want. You can borrow him, I don't mind."

I turn my head towards Jayden and he smiles at me, an innocent smile that makes me feel like melting from how adorable he is. Jayden is one of those kids that could say anything and still sound like a complete angel. He's been so sweet to me all weekend. I think he's my new best friend.

"Be right back!" He suddenly sits up and bolts for the house, running as fast as his little legs will carry him. I just laugh and stay where I am while I wait for the little boy and the rest of the stars. After a few minutes Jayden comes back and sits down beside me, hiding something behind his back.

"What do you have?" I ask, sitting up as well. He peers up at me with shy eyes and holds out an item, which turns out to be one of his little t-shirts. "What's this?"

"My favourite shirt."

"You want me to have it?" He nods and I smile, narrowing my eyes. "Why?"

"You said your friends give you clothes," he says. "Now I'm your friend, too."

Tears start forming in my eyes as he smiles at me, the fabric moving around in my fingers while I fiddle with it. This is the sweetest thing I have ever heard in my entire life. I put my arm around Jayden and he hugs me real tight while I try not to cry. Part of me wants to tell him that we're actually siblings, but this is good enough for now.

"I think it's my job to give her clothes, little man."

My eyes go wide and I spin my head towards the house. That voice. I would know it anywhere. And I definitely didn't imagine it.

"Who are you?" Jayden asks, moving a little closer and tightening his hold on me. Without looking away from Harry I know he's nervous.

"It's okay," I tell Jayden. "That's the friend I was telling you about."

Harry smiles and takes a step closer to us, sliding his fingers into the pockets of his ridiculously tight jeans that I actually missed. "You trying to steal my girl?"

"Carmen is my best friend," Jayden says simply. Harry smiles. "You can't have her."

"Tell you what." Harry comes closer and kneels in front of us. "We share Carmen and I'll buy you a new set of colouring pencils. I heard you're quite the artist."