11

"Now I'm not sure."

Harry

"Let's get some nachos or something."

"No, Liam. Let's get our seats first," I say, tugging him towards the stands. We go up to our seats, about ten rows from the court. "Do you see her?"

"Yea, right there. She's number three."

I look through the girls in white long-sleeve jerseys until I see her. Long blonde hair in a low ponytail down her back, white jersey tight against her skin and slightly layered over tight black shorts. She looks amazing, and completely in her element. She looks comfortable. It's refreshing.

"What's going on with you two, anyway?" Liam asks.

"I have no idea. You probably know better than I do. She thought I was on a date last night at the poetry thing." I smile a little and watch them move onto the other side of the net where the other team starts hitting. "I think she was jealous."

"Try not to sound so happy about that," he laughs.

"I'm just saying, it's better than the cold shoulder I'm used to."

"I guess so."

"I've never watched a volleyball game. When do they start?"

"They have to do their warmup. Five on each side and then two minutes of serving," he explains. I can't take my eyes off of Carmen. They're on the opposite side, so she's blocked from my view sometimes, but every time the ball is hit to her she passes it up perfectly. She moves with perfect fluidity, and her athleticism is completely impressive.

"You're drooling," Liam says. I punch his arm and shake my head, running my hand through my hair. Carmen's little speech last week didn't really discourage me. I gave her some space, and after last night I feel like my window of opportunity is open wider than ever.

"She looks great." I look at the court again when the whistle blows and they switch sides. The girls on USC get into three lines and Carmen is in the first on the one closest to me. The ball gets set high over the net and she approaches it fast, jumping higher than any girl I've ever seen. The ball goes straight down on the other side with greater speed than I was expecting.

"Wow," I breathe. "She's fantastic."

"Just wait for the actual game to start. Then you'll be impressed."

When the warm-ups are over and Liam is seated with his damn nachos the teams both go onto the court. Carmen is starting in the back left position, and as soon as she steps onto the court her eyes go to the crowd. She sees us, well, probably sees Liam mostly. Her eyes light up and relax at the same time, a sigh released from her chest. She smiles at him and her eyes go back to the game. Here we go.

"Carmen!"

Liam waves her over and she's already go the biggest smile on her face, dressed up in yoga pants and a red jacket from the team. He hugs her and she laughs a little.

"I can't believe we won!" she says happily. He keeps her under his arm, taking her bag to put over his shoulder, her eyes light and happy. She smiles at me. "Hi, Harry. Thanks for coming."

"It was incredible. I mean, you were. You were great. Really good." What the fuck?

"Thanks," she says, laughing a little. "I'm really glad you guys came."

"Where did that serve come from?" Liam asks. I'm told it's a spinning jump serve, apparently hard to receive and even harder to perfect the way Carmen has.