55

"I'm trying."

Carmen

Harry is amazing with kids. I've never really seen him around them before, but he's incredible with Jayden. Jayden has been constantly following him around and trying to do whatever he does, including when Harry was shaving this morning. It was so adorable I almost died. He's even gotten on Evan's good side, which I didn't know was possible. The only reason Evan is even around me lately is because I can see he looks up to Harry as much as his little brother.

"Evan, are you sure you don't want to play?" I ask him. We're sitting on the floor with a game of snakes and ladders and Evan is on the couch behind Harry with his arms crossed, refusing to join in.

"No."

"Come on!" Jayden takes out another playing piece and holds it up. "You can be this girl."

"I'm a boy!"

"I'll be the girl," Harry says. Jayden hands him the piece and Harry turns to look at Evan. "Come on, you don't want to just sit there watching us have all the fun, do you?"

"You can be the girl because you have long hair," Jayden says as Evan makes his way over. He sits between me and Harry on the fourth side of the board and gives me a shy glance.

"Boys can have long hair." Harry pushes his fingers through it. "Nothing wrong with it."

"My friend Sarah has shorter hair than you do," Evan says.

"It's probably not as awesome as mine."

"It reminds me of a fairy." Jayden sits up on his knees so he can touch Harry's curls and Harry looks at me with an amused smile. "I think it's pretty."

"Do you like being pretty, Harry?" I ask. He shakes his head and laughs as Jayden sits back down in his spot. "Okay, who wants to go first?"

"Evan can go because I want him to smile."

Literally the sweetest kid ever. I wonder what the two boys are like together when I'm not around because Evan clearly has a problem with me. Gale says he's just more closed off than Jayden is, but it goes beyond being shy. With Harry he's shy but he's not hostile the way he is with me. I've tried everything I can think of.

Gale had some things to do today and requested that Harry and I stay home with the boys. She asked if I wanted to go with her, but the idea of spending hours alone with her made me feel like having an anxiety attack. Harry gently encouraged me to do it, saying it was a good idea to have some alone time with her. I've been here almost five days and the most alone I've been with her is the few minutes before or after meals that I'm helping her out in the kitchen.

"Not cool." Harry shakes his head and slides down a snake. "I was winning."

"You're gonna lose," Evan sings. He laughs and takes his turn. "I'm going to win."

"Carmen might win," Jayden says. He scoots a little closer to me and spins the arrow. This kid is probably my favourite person in the whole world. He might even have Harry beat.

Two hours and six games later the boys are laughing so hard that they're rolling around on the ground. Harry's got them so riled up that Evan climbs onto his back, Jayden doing his best to do the same with his little legs. Harry rolls to the side and pins Evan down while Jayden sits on his stomach and they're all laughing so hard that it makes me laugh too. Then he whispers something to them and before I know it they're all pinning me down and tickling me. I'm talking holding down all my limbs and sitting on me so I can't move even a little.