36

"I'm going to go before one of us says something stupid."

Carmen

"What was that about?" Liam asks when we walk out of my building. "Why'd you flip out?"

"I didn't flip out."

"Umm...okay. But yeah, you sort of did."

I sigh and push my fingers through my hair, guilt filling in my chest as a result of my outburst. It was never my intention to get upset with Harry or make him feel bad, but that's probably what ended up happening anyway. It's not an excuse, but talking about my mother is just the last thing I wanted to do with Harry. It's not easy to say the least, and it just got to me when he kept pushing it.

"Anyway," he says, probably realizing that I don't want to talk to him any more than I want to talk to Harry about it. "How was your break? Was it good being at Harry's?"

"Yeah." The memories are a little bitter-sweet based on what just happened, but it was amazing. "It was really good. His family is incredible."

"Anything happen with you two?"

Everything.

"Who would have thought I'd be the single one out of the two of us," Liam says, laughing a little as he shakes his head. "I can't believe you're actually dating Harry."

"It's not like everyone didn't see it coming," I remind him.

"Yeah, but still. After you hating him for the first few weeks I figured he had no chance. Apparently he's persistent."

"I'd say so. What happened with Talia?"

He sighs and leans back against the back of his chair. We stopped in a little cafe for some coffee since I'm too exhausted to really do anything. "I finally talked to her after you left. I was going to wait but what's the point of going through Christmas and New Year's together if we're just going to break up? Anyway, she saw it coming so it wasn't too bad. It sucks, obviously, since we were together for so long."

"Have you talked to her since?" I ask, sipping my coffee.

"Not really. We'll probably stay friends, but distance is good for us right now."

"Do you think you'll get back together?"

"Carmen, we broke up like two minutes ago," he says. "I'm not really thinking about that right now. Plus, I think it's stupid when people do that. I mean, you obviously broke up for a reason so why would things be different a second time?"

"I don't know," I venture, staring out the window. "If the person changes then why not?"

"Maybe...but I don't think people really change that much."

"You can do better than Talia anyway," I continue, surprised at my new opinions on dating and relationships. "There's a million girls in our psych class that stare at you."

"There's a million girls in our psych class?" he asks sarcastically. "Wow, attendance must be quite poor."

"I almost forgot how funny you are."

He laughs. "Okay, are you going to tell me what happened with Harry? Or do I have to beat it out of you."

"You can try, but I'm a lot tougher than I look."

"Carmen."

A deep breath passes through my lips. "Okay, first there's a few things I should probably tell you."