50

"Montecito."

Carmen

One more week. All I have to do is survive one more week of classes and then Spring Break is here and my life will be so much better. Not that I have a lot to complain about at the moment, but Spring Break is definitely something to look forward to.

The group of us tried to play something, some kind of trip or excursion we could go on with all of us to have some fun outside Columbia. It didn't work out, but at this point it doesn't feel like anything could bring down my mood. I even spoke to my father last night and that's always a good omen for me.

I told him about my mother. He wasn't as surprised as I thought he would be and he was exactly as supportive as I knew he'd be. My Dad is the last person to hold a grudge and he gave up on being angry with Gale a long time ago, pretty soon after she left. He knew the life he pulled her into would be hard and he understood that it's not for everyone. She thought it was for her and then changed her mind. It's allowed, it happens. I, on the other hand, was not so easy going about the whole situation. Clearly.

"Do you realize how weird swings are?"

My gaze is pulled back into focus and I turn my head towards Harry. "What?"

"Swings," he repeats. "Like..what's the point, exactly?"

"Fun."

"Right, but why is it fun?"

"Gosh, Harry. You ask such terrific questions." He shrugs and places his arms on the chains on either side of him. The subject of his inquiry happen to be the very playground equipment we're using right now, so I guess being on the swings makes your mind wander.

"Where'd you wander off to?" he asks. I push myself off the ground and start pumping my legs back and forth for momentum.

"When?"

"Just now. You were thinking about something."

"Oh." He meant figuratively. "I was just thinking about what my Dad said last night."

"About your...about Gale?"

Harry has been informed of my distaste for referring to my mother as my mother. Because despite the fact that we share some genes, she definitely is not that. My hair blows back and forth, in front of and away from my face as the wind pushes through it with each movement.

"Yeah. It's annoying because he's right. And now I don't know how to feel."

For a while it's quiet again and Harry sits motionless in his swing while I get higher and higher. There's something freeing about this feeling and it makes me feel like I'm trying to wipe the thoughts from my mind. That would be much easier.

Harry passed along the information about where she lives and I stared at that little piece of paper for two hours before I finally opened my laptop and typed in the address. Previous real estate listings for the house came up and the pictures made my jaw hit the floor. Whoever my mother ended up with was not a soldier because the house is basically a castle. The backyard has a giant water fountain and built-in water slide for the pool. It's like living in a vacation.

"I'm going to jump!"

"No!" Harry shouts immediately. "Seriously, don't. You're too high."

"I don't do drugs."

"Ha. Ha. You're not funny, Carmen. Don't do it."

"Now I have to." My giggles are frequent and Harry stands from his swing, directly in the path of my informed jump. "I'll jump on you."