12

"You two are getting quite... comfortable."

Carmen

Twelve minutes. That's how long I've been standing in front of the boys' house building the courage to go inside or knock or do something. I don't even know if anyone is here. Louis' car is in the driveway so someone has to be here. I was hoping Harry would be...

I finally lift my hand to the wood and knock three times. Can a knock sound nervous? I hope not. No one answers and I almost turn around to leave, but then the door swings open.

"Carmen?"

Harry. And not Harry as I've always seen him, but Harry in sweatpants with no shirt on. Not even a little covered. All the tattoos I found so attractive the first night I met him are on full display and when my eyes finally go back up to his face I realize I've been staring and that he definitely knows it. His lips twitch up on one side and I hope my face isn't as red as it feels.

"What's up?" he asks, leaning against the doorframe.

"I know this is random, but I was hoping you could help me with stats." He raises his eyebrows in surprise, I assume, and it makes me nervous. This was a dumb idea. "If you're busy that's fine. I should have texted you or something. You know what, I'll just go-"

"No, no it's fine," he says, standing up again. "Sorry, I just wasn't expecting you. Come on in."

"Thanks." I step past him and into the house. The TV is on and there's a bowl of popcorn on the table.

"Sorry, it's kind of a mess in here." he says, walking past me. He takes the remote and shuts off the television, but before the picture fades to black I see a familiar face.

"What were you watching? Was that 24?" I ask. He nods.

"Yeah, I saw an old episode on TV like two weeks ago and I started watching it from the beginning. Do you know it?"

"It's my favourite show," I admit, laughing a little. "My Dad and I always used to have marathons of it together. It's amazing, Jack Bauer is a legend."

"He does seem pretty good at what he does," he agrees. "I'm going to grab a shirt, I'll be right back."

I nod and watch him go. I wonder if he's the only one here. A tiny part of me hopes that we're alone, but that could be problematic at some point. Maybe. Fuck, I don't even know what's going on anymore. I haven't seen Harry since Sunday and I fucking kissed him on the cheek. Who does that? I felt like such a loser, but he looked pleased enough. I hope it made up for the way I've treated him.

He comes bouncing back down the steps, a black t-shirt pulled over his head.

"So...where should we sit?" he asks.

"Umm..doesn't matter. The couch is fine I guess." Is it? Maybe we should sit at the table...I'm not really sure. This is a lot more awkward than I thought it would be.

He walks to the couch and I follow, my bag brought down from my shoulders. He sits on one end and I sit in the middle of the other two cushions, so there's a bit of room between us. I'm not really sure how to act right now and he is giving no indication as to what he wants from me. I take out my textbook and notepad in a room full of complete silence.

"So, what are you having a hard time with?" he asks.

"It's just the last few weeks. The first month was easy enough, just central tendency and that kind of stuff, but now we're doing actual hypothesis testing and I have no idea what's going on."