34

"I would never give up on her."

Carmen

"Mum, just leave it. We can clean everything up later." Gemma looks at Harry. "Or make Harry do it. He made most of the mess anyway."

"I did not!" I look up at him with raised eyebrows and he smiles. "Okay, maybe. But how come when Mum makes a mess making dinner she never has to clean it up?"

"I'm not going to dignify that with a response," Anne says, continuing to pick up the wrapping paper.

Harry just laughs, trying to keep me beside him when I stand up. Christmas day with Harry and his family is a little surreal, to be honest, but it's been incredible. Harry has been really cute, and while normally I feel like that much affection would annoy me after a while, I really can't get enough of him. Yesterday we spent the day around the house with everyone, much like today, and after much coercion on my part Harry finally agreed to try to get to know Oliver. Gemma figured it out and hugged me so tight I thought my lungs would break. Apparently Harry is a little hard on her boyfriends, and she almost cried she's so happy he's finally giving one a chance.

"Harry, stop," I laugh, trying to peel his fingers from my hips.

"Stay here," he says. He manages to put his arms around my waist and pull me back so I'm on his lap, his face buried against my neck.

"I'm not leaving, I just want to help."

"No, I don't think so."

"Here, let me help," Gemma says. She stands from her spot in front of Oliver on the floor and walks around the couch. "Remember this, Carmen."

"Gem, don't," Harry says, half serious and half laughing. She sits beside us and he uses my body as a shield from his sister. "Seriously, I'll kill you."

"Okay," she laughs. She reaches around me and digs her fingers into his stomach, and Harry immediately erupts in a fit of giggles that are so adorable I have to laugh with him. I'm not kidding, seriously the cutest thing I've ever heard. After a minute his hands leave my waist and I jump up while he tries to get her to stop.

"Ow!" she squeals when he wraps his hands around her wrists. "Harry, that hurts!"

"We made a pact," he says simply. "No more tickling and I wouldn't chase your boyfriends out with a bat anymore."

Gemma rolls her eyes and I laugh and look at Oliver, who doesn't seem too bothered. I have to say, even with Harry's outright distaste for him he handles it quite well.

"There's no bat, but you do fine chasing them away anyway," she says. "Now let go."

"I'll get you back," he says, releasing her wrists. He looks at me. "And you, too."

"What did I do?"

"No, I mean back here. On my lap."

Harry does nothing to aid my task, kicking my butt and putting his feet anywhere to try and be a giant pain in the ass. Problem is, he's got the most adorable smile on his face the entire time so it's really hard to be annoyed. Plus, these last two days have felt like one constant state of pure bliss, which I never thought would happen to me.

Flashback

"Are you ever going to ask me to be your girlfriend?"

Harry's face is priceless, charming smile replaced by wide eyes and a slightly nervous expression. I simply raise my eyebrows, arms still locked behind his neck. He swallows and blinks a few times.