64

"He left."

Carmen

When I get to the restaurant where I'm meeting Liam the first thing I think is that I hope Harry isn't working. But then I remember Liam telling me they're all going to a part later so he probably isn't. Although, a tiny part of me wants to see him. A really tiny part.

Seeing him a few days ago broke my heart all over again. I honestly didn't think he'd have the nerve to show up at my apartment, but at the same time I'm surprised it took as long as it did. It's the worst feeling to miss someone you know you can't be with. Harry betrayed me, he lied to me and I refuse to be the girl that falls for that sort of thing.

When I spot Liam he's sitting at a table with a girl. She's got incredibly dark hair and pale skin, strong cheekbones. She's really pretty. And the way she's looking at Liam...

"Carmen!" Liam looks up from his own puppy-dog staring and waves me over. "About time."

"Shut up," I laugh as he hugs me.

"Carmen, this is Rachel. Rachel-"

"It's so nice to meet you!" Rachel stands and hugs me instantly, resulting in a laugh from Liam. "Liam has told me so much about you."

"You too," I respond when she lets me go. We all sit down and Liam smiles quite fondly at her. "I hope you weren't waiting long."

"Half hour. We almost got up and left."

"That's not true," Rachel says, lightly swatting at Liam's arm. He nudges her back with his elbow and wipes the smile off his face when I raise my eyebrows at him. He told me they were staying friends while they were doing this together. Friends.

"Whatever. Either way I'm starving."

Rachel seems like a really good girl. The flirting between her and my best fried doesn't let up the entire time, but I like her. She lives in an apartment here with her sister, but her family is from the same town as Liam's. That's how they met. Liam is staying here for the summer so he can be there for her and the pregnancy. My best friend is going to be a father. So strange.

"I'll be right back," she says suddenly, jumping up from her chair to head for the bathroom. Liam's worried eyes follow.

"Is she okay?"

"Yeah. Well no," he says, turning back towards me. "She's got pretty bad morning sickness."

"That's too bad." He nods and glances behind him again. "Liam."

"Yeah?" I wait for him to look at me again. When he sees my expression he rolls his eyes. "Don't."

"You totally like her," I accuse, leaning my chin on my hand. "It's so obvious."

"I don't like her, we're just friends. Besides, we already agreed that we couldn't go there right now. This is going to be complicated enough as it is."

"Whatever you say." I slide out of my chair and pat his shoulder. "I'll go check on her."

"Thanks."

When I push the bathroom door open I hear a toilet flush. Rachel slowly emerges from the stall, wiping her mouth on the back of her hand. When she sees me she manages a small smile.

"I'm okay," she says, stepping over to the sink.

"You sure?"

"Yeah. I'm just nauseous a lot. And apparently I don't like pickles anymore."