Chapter 1: Challenge Accepted

"I don't know what Ron sees in her," I said to myself as I watched him from a distance, flirting with this girl. Ronny, I think her name is. How ironic is that? Ron and Ronny. If they really get together they'll be some corny motherfuckers. Can you imagine them with kids? They gon' name their babies Roneisha and Ronda! Rondelle! Oh my Lord! Ronette! Listen, they better not do no stupid shit like that.

"Alyssa," Janelle called out to me breaking my concentration from Ron. "Shit,"I mumbled to myself. "Huh! I ain't doing nothing." I turned around as she approached me. "Lys were you stalking Ron and that girl again?" "No. Why would you think that? I was just sitting here waiting on you."

"So why you looking around like you stole something?"

"Girl whatchu talking 'bout?"

Janelle sucked her teeth. "Girl quit playin'. You ain't fooling nobody. You sound guilty as shit. Anyway are you coming to the party tonight? I heard Kevin'll be there," she said grinning.

"Ok," I said nonchalantly. "What does that have to do with me?"

"Girl whatchu mean what does it have to do with you? You haven't heard the rumor mill talking? Kevin's been asking about you."

"What! Girl stop playing. That man is not thinking about me," I said pulling away from her and walking back to our dorm. She followed behind me. "Well I beg to differ."

I sucked my teeth. "And even if he did why do I care? He's never said two words to me. You buggin' sis."

Janelle grabbed my arm and stopped me. "Like hell I am. Out of all these lil heifers chasing him around campus, you are the one that he's interested in."

I just stood there looking at Janelle like she had lost her mind. She looked at me a bit confused. "A lot of guys been trynna get your attention lately. Kevin isn't the only one," she said matter-of-factly, "and you don't seem the least bit fazed." I just kept staring at her. "Oh my goodness! You really don't know! Lys, how have you managed to ignore every dude on campus that has been trynna talk to you?"

"Because it's not the one that matters," I said rolling my eyes.

"Girl you got your head so far stuck up Ron's ass and he ain't even thinking about you! When you gon' stop worrying about him? Listen Lys, you gon' be single for a long time if you waiting for his ass to make a move. Move on."

"Uh, ma'am? That's easy for you to say. You ain't checking for nobody right now."

Janelle scoffed. "Yes I am."

"Who?"

"Vic!" She shot back.

"Hol' up. Victor, Victor? Uh uh. That's nasty. You do know his favorite pastime includes hoeing right?"

"See. There you go. Thats why I can't tell your ass nothing. I don't need you judging me.

"Janelle. Come on. If it was anybody else I'd understand, but it's Vic. You can't be serious?"

"And what if I am?" She rolled her eyes and walked away from me. "You are unbelievable."

"Janelle. Wait," I said trying to catch up to her.

She stopped and turned to look at me. "What? Why can't you just be happy for me?"

"Because you deserve better than him."

"And you deserve better than Ron," she stated confidently. "He doesn't even notice you half the time. These other dudes around here do. Get a fuckin' clue!"

"Oh and Kevin is better for me? I barely know the nigga."

"Well you could," she snapped back. She took a deep breath. "Look. You either be woman enough to get the man you want or stop bitchin' about it."