Chapter 62: These Arms

I left Terrance's apartment and headed in the direction of my mom's house. "This motherfucka just told me to handle my business. What the hell he think I'm gonna do? Shoot her? I don't even know what imma say to her." Lost in my own thoughts my phone rung. It was Kevin. "Hello?"

"Alyssa, where you at?"

"I'm on the road. Why? Is everything okay?"

"Yeah everything's fine."

"Good. So what's up?"

I'll probably be at your brothers place for like another hour, but I wanted to know if I could come over and hang out once I leave here."

I thought about it for a moment. "Uh. Sure. Just text me when you're on your way."

"Okay cool. See you later."

"Later," I said before ending the call.

About fifteen minutes later I pulled up to my mom's house. I parked and sat a few minutes in my car to get myself together. After taking a few deep breaths I opened up my car door and got out.

I swiftly walked up the steps and knocked on the door. I stood outside for five minutes and no one answered. I called her phone and was sent straight to voicemail. Feeling defeated I headed back to my car and called Dominic.

"Hey Alyssa. To what do I owe this pleasure?"

I smiled. "Hey. Sorry for calling so late."

"It's okay. How can I help you?"

"I'm sitting outside of my mom's house and I don't think she's here. Do you know where she is? I called her and didn't get an answer."

"She should be on her flight?"

"Her flight? What flight? Where is she going?"

"I thought she told you. She's going on a month long cruise through Europe. Her plane lands in London tomorrow morning."

"Wow. I don't believe this," I sighed frustratedly.

"Is everything okay," Dominic asked concernedly.

I contemplated if I should fill him in, but decided not to. "Everything's fine. I just really needed to talk to her."

"Is it anything that I can help with?"

"I'm afraid not," I sighed into the phone, "but thank you for offering."

"Anytime," he said fondly. "Have a good night Alyssa."

"Thanks. You too."

"Oh and Alyssa. One more thing."

"What's that?"

"Take it easy okay. I'm worried about you."

"I will. I promise."

After Dominic and I ended our call, I started my hour long journey back home. On the ride down I was tempted to call Oliver and ask him if he knew my mom was leaving, but called Terrance instead.

"Hey Lys. You good?"

"I'm fine T. I just had a quick question."

"Shoot."

"Did you know that mommy was going on a month long cruise through Europe?"

"Um. No. Why?"

"I went to her house and she wasn't there and I just got off the phone with Dominic a little while ago and he told me that she's going on a cruise through Europe and that her plane to London leaves tonight."

"Wow. That's crazy. She ain't breathe a word yo!"

"I guess I shouldn't be surprised."

"Yeah," Terrance sighed in agreement. "So where you headed?"

"Home. I'm so fucking tired."

"I bet. You had a long, eventful ass night. Be safe getting home and rest up."

"Thanks T, I will. Love you."

"Love you too sis."
..
Forty-five minutes later I walked back into my quiet apartment. I headed towards my bedroom and began to strip out of my clothes. I grabbed a towel and walked down the hall in the direction of the bathroom. I turned on the shower water and stood in front of the sink to brush my teeth as I waited for the shower water to warm up. As I brushed my teeth I stared at my face in the mirror. "I look like shit," I mumbled to myself. I spit into the sink and rinsed off my toothbrush before stepping into the shower and immersing myself in the warm water and calm ambiance of the room. I took a long fifteen minute shower before feeling satisfied enough to get out. I wrapped my towel around my naked frame and exited the bathroom. As I headed back up the hall to my room I dried myself off. I felt refreshed. Once lotioned up and dressed in an oversized t-shirt I settled comfortably into my bed. I was so grateful to be back in my apartment. I reached across my night stand to grab a book to read when I noticed the unread text message on my phone. I picked it up and saw that it was from Kevin. It read omw. He sent the text message nearly ten minutes ago. I swiped my phone open and responded okay---the door will be unlocked. I got out of bed, walked to the living room, and unlocked the door. I scurried back into my room and plopped down onto my bed. I picked up my phone and you wouldn't believe it. Just that fast I had a miss call from my mom. I didn't feel like I was in any condition to talk to her now so I didn't bother calling back. I did, however listen to her voicemail. "Hey Lys, it's me. Nicky told me you were looking for me. Is everything okay? Call me back. Love you." I rolled my eyes and threw my phone down to the foot of the bed. "Whatever," I mumbled. I snuggled underneath my covers for extra warmth and comfort and before I knew it I was asleep.

Less than an hour later I felt muscular arms wrap around my body and hold me close. From the scent of the cologne I knew it was Kevin. I began to stir and muttered his name into the darkness. "Kevin," I called. He shushed me. "Go back to sleep," he mumbled into my neck." I didn't argue. I just snuggled back up to him and closed my eyes. Why did I ever leave these arms for Oliver, I wondered as I drifted back off to sleep. This is where I always belonged.
...
***ONE MORE CHAPTER LEFT***