Chapter 53: You Know How That Goes

......
"Alyssa," Kevin called out to me. "Is that you?"

"Yeah it's me," I said shutting the door behind me.

Kevin walked out into the living room. "Hey baby. What are you doing here? I thought you were going to be with your mom all day."

"Well I was," I lied, "but you know how that goes."

"Yeah," he said sitting down. "So how was she?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "She was her usual self."

"Is that right? Cuz Ty told me she was in the hospital?"

"What," I questioned. "Are you serious?"

"No," he said calmly. He looked over at me. "Alyssa. Where were you last night?"

"What? I already told you. I was at---"

"Don't lie to me. I know you weren't with your mother. Who were you with last night? Was it Oliver?"

I stumbled over my words. "Well---um---I---I."

He looked at me. "So that's a yes."

I was silent.

"So it's nothing going on between y'all, huh? Isn't that what you told me last night?" Kevin sucked his teeth. "You could have told me the truth when I asked you about him."

"There was nothing to tell. What I said last night was true. I hadn't seen or talked to him since we broke up."

"I don't believe you."

"Look. You have a right to be upset and to not trust me---"

"Yeah cuz I needed your permisson," Kevin said cutting me off.

"But---" I said continuing, "you were right. There was something that was happening between us, but it wasn't something that hadn't already happened. When we broke up I was still in love with him. I don't think---" I took a pause, "---I don't think I've ever stopped loving him. I thought I did, but---" I threw my arms in the air, "---just five minutes alone with him and I realized just how right we were for each other---" I paused, "or at least used to be."

"Alyssa talk plain to me. What are you saying?"

"I'm saying---" I took a deep breath. "I'm confused." I sat down across from Kevin. "You are absolute perfection and I love you more than words could ever express but---"

"Why does it sound like you're breaking up with me?"

"What? Married people don't just break up. I'm not breaking up with you."

"You're right. They divorce. Do you want to divorce me," Kevin asked standing up quickly.

"What! Hell no! Kevin sit down," I pleaded. "I'm just saying that while I love you deeply I think I still have feelings for him and I'm sorry."

Kevin's brows furrowed. "Hold up. Alyssa did you---did you sleep with him?"

I looked away and put my head in my hands. I picked my head up. "Yes, but I swear I didn't mean to. It was just---" I looked away from him. "Never mind." Kevin walked over to the kitchen counter and grabbed his keys. "Kevin wait. Don't leave," I said with tears in my eyes. He walked out of the apartment never saying another word. The door slammed shut behind him. I jumped. I was for certain that we were over and at this point I didn't blame him if he wanted a divorce.
...