Chapter 13: How It Went Down

"Babe you know we gotta talk about what happened the other day right," Kevin said to me as he stroked my hair.

I looked up at him from his lap. "What for?"

"Well. You know. About what went down between you and Ronny."

"What about it?"

"Well," he started out slowly, "I just think you were a little rough with her. You're beef isn't with her. She ain't do nothing to you. Ron did. He was the one out here trying to make a fool out of you."

"Wooow."

Kevin grabbed my hand and smiled. "Sorry. I didn't mean any harm by that, but you didn't have to insinuate that Ron is out here bullshitting their relationship. That's their business. You gotta let that shit unfold on its own."

"Damn who's side are you on?"

"The right side. It wasn't your place to say anything. Come on Lys. Listen to reason here."

I quickly sat up "Babe! She was trynna come for me. You had to know I couldn't let that slide."

"You couldn't or you didn't want to?"

"Ugh. Are you serious right now?"

"Did you see her face before we left? She looked devasted."

"So, because she can dish it out and not take it I'm supposed to feel bad?"

"Why are you acting like that Lys," he groaned. I side-eyed him. "Kevin don't do that," I huffed, "I was already upset with Ron and then Ronny just so happened to show up assuming shit. It was a lot, so please, okay?"

He scooted closer to me. "Baby all I'm saying is you gotta let folks handle their affairs on their own time. Not on yours. It's not your job to air folks dirty laundry."

"I hear you babe," I said softly, "but that bitch had it coming! She was talking crazy!"

"That may be so, but it does not excuse the fact that you were still outta pocket."

"Kevin!" I groaned.

"Alyssa!" he mimicked.

Kevin pulled me into his lap. "I hear you and I understand where you're coming from, but I wouldn't be a good friend or fiancé," he whispered, "if I let you get away with everything."

I looked down at him. "I guess you're right."

"I know I am," he teased licking his lips. I scrunched up my face. He chuckled and tried to playfully kiss my neck. "Bye Kevin," I said pushing him away jokingly.

Janelle walked into the living area and sat across from us. "Y'all forever in each others face. Ugh. Get a room."

"Damn. She got a man and she still mad," I teased.

Kevin chuckled beside me. Janelle stuck her tongue in her cheek and leered at me in a jocular manner. "Okay. So it's like that," she said calmly.

"I mean you tell me. You salty?" I teased.

She laughed. "You know I love y'all."

"And we love your goofy ass right back."

"Where's Adrian," Kevin interjected. "On his way over here actually. He's coming to pick me up."

"Where y'all going?" I asked.
"I don't know. It's a surprise," she grinned.

"Oooh," have fun."

"Thanks. What are y'all getting into tonight?" Janelle asked Kevin and I. "I gotta few things in mind," Kevin said just as he reached over and squeezed my leg. "That's all he ever wanna do," I joked. "I don't get no time to recuperate or nothing."