Chapter 32: First Impressions

"Baby wish me luck. I'm going to meet Dominick," I said as I walked into the living room. "How do I look," I asked showing off my outfit.

Kevin looked me over and grinned.
"Mm. Look at you babe! You look amazing."

I grinned at him. "Thank you baby." I walked over to the mirror by the door and examined my hair and makeup one more time.

"Are you nervous?"

I turned around and looked at Kevin. "Maybe a little. I don't really know what to expect from him, ya know? And I know this might seem a bit...childish, but I want him to like me."

"Baby he's your dad. There's nothing wrong with wanting to make a good impression."

"You know what," I said taking a deep breath, "you're right." I checked the time on my phone. "Oh I need to get going. I don't want to be late." I rushed over to Kevin and gave him a quick kiss on the lips. "I love you. Bye."

At 6:45 I pulled up at Mon Cherie, a fancy little restaurant about fifteen minutes out from where I lived. I stepped out of the car and looked at my reflection in the car window.

"You look great honey," an older woman, about sixty, said to me as she walked by with, who I assumed was her husband. I looked over at her and smiled politely. "Thank you." I looked myself over one more time and headed towards the restaurant. When I walked inside my mother greeted me. "Alyssa. Glad to see you're on time. Dominick is on his way." She led me to our table. I sat down across from her and awkwardly waited for Dominick to arrive.

"You look uncomfortable? What's wrong," my mother asked me.

"I'm just a little anxious that's all."

"You're worrying for nothing," she said as she stood up from her chair. "I'm going to the ladies room." When she left I looked around the swanky restaurant and flagged down a waiter. "Excuse me. Could you bring me a glass of non-alcohlic white zinfandel, please?"

"Sure."

"Thank you so much," I said graciously.

Just as my mother arrived back at the table the waiter came back with my glass of wine. "Wow that was quick. Thank you Michael," I said reading his name tag. "You're welcome madame," he smiled.

"Drinking won't make your anxiety go away," my mother interjected as she sat down.

"Yeah. Well it will do more for me than you are. You're no help."

"Should I have not come," she said sounding slightly offended.

"Yes, but you insisted that you'd be a part of this so here we are."

"Please. Let's not do this tonight," she said through a gritted smile.

"Fine. who's idea was it to come here anyway?"

"Dominick asked me about nice restaurants in the area and I suggested this one."

"It's kinda bold to bring an old fling to the restaurant you and your almost divorced husband used to dine at. Don't you think?"

She leaned forward. "Girl I am warning you. Quit while your ahead," she said in a hushed tone. Her eyes left me and zeroed in on the front door. "That's him. Please act like you got some damn sense."

She stood up. "Hey Nicky," she smiled giddily. He kissed her on the cheek. "Lyn," he grinned as he pulled her into a hug, "You look wonderful." When he released her my mother motioned to me. "Dominick this is your daughter, Alyssa. Alyssa this is Dominick, your father."

I stood up, the moment suddenly feeling surreal. "Hi," I smiled. He stepped back and looked at me in awe. "Oh my goodness. You're beautiful." He pulled me into a warm hug. "I am so excited to meet you." When he let me go tears were standing in his eyes and mine. He cupped both sides of my face and wiped away the fallen tears.

"I'll give you two a minute," my mom said excusing herself.

"Please. Sit," he instructed. I sat back down in my seat as he sat down across from me. "I've waited so long for this moment to come. I can't believe that you're here." Dominick was so giddy it looked as though his eyes were dancing.

I couldn't stop smiling. I was tearing up again. "I have to be honest Dominick. I didn't know what to expect from you when I came in here tonight, but in just a few short moments you have already made me feel so loved and welcomed."

Dominick reached out to grab my hand. "Is it okay," he asked. I nodded my head yes. He held my hand in his. "I've always loved you and I can't wait to get to know you and make up for lost time. What do you say? You up for that?"

I wiped my eyes and smiled. "Yeah." He let go of my hand and wiped his face. My mother came back and sat down beside Dominick. "So. How's everything going," she asked. "It's going really good," I smiled.

As the night progressed I could really see Dominick being a part of my life. It's amazing how quickly we clicked. "Will y'all excuse me for a moment," I said standing up. "I'm gonna go run to the ladies room."

When I got to the bathroom I pulled out my phone and called Kevin. "Hey baby," he said roughly into the phone.

"Hey. Did I wake you?"

"Nah. I'm just watching TV. How's it going?"

"Oh my goodness! Kevin," I squealed, "It's going better than I expected. We'll talk when I get home though. I just had to call and tell you that."

Kevin chuckled into the phone. "Okay. See you when you get home baby. I love you."

"I love you too." I hung up the phone and eagerly exited the restroom. On my way back to the table I saw Dominick and my mom flirting with one another. I stopped in my tracks and took a step back. I squinted my eyes to make sure they weren't deceiving me. "Oh hell no," I mumbled as I walked back to the table.

"I don't believe this," I said looking at my mom. She jumped. "So not only have you still been in communication with Dominick, but you've been seeing him all this time and keeping it from me. When were you gonna tell me ma? If I hadn't told you I wanted to meet him would you have told me that y'all were dating and that he's the father of your unborn child? When does it end with you?"

"Alyssa. Keep your voice down," my mom hushed.

"Don't tell me to keep my voice down."

Dominick scooted away from my mom and looked at her. "You didn't tell her? Hm. Why am I not surprised?"

My mom struggled to find the words to speak. She opened her mouth, but nothing came out.

"You spill all these secrets over the past few weeks and you somehow manage to leave out the most important part. Come on ma, you left dad for him. You didn't think that that was something to mention to me when you told me that my father is not the man who raised me?"

"I'm sorry," my mom managed to utter.

"I'm sorry. That's all you got for me," I said shrugging her off.

"If you would just give me a chance to explain---"

"Times up," I said turning to leave. "I'm out of here."

"I'm right behind you," Dominick said as he stood up and grabbed his things. "I thought you valued our relationship a little bit more than that, but jokes on me. Given the circumstances I should have known better."

Dominick caught up to me outside. "Hey Alyssa," he called out. I stopped in my tracks and turned around. "You like coffee"---he paused, "or tea? I'm not impartial."

I smiled at him. "I happen to know a great place. Get in," I said nodding my head in the direction of my car.