Chapter 11: Pining After You

It was Saturday night and Janelle and I were having a date night with Adrian and Kevin. We were going to try out pottery for the first time. Janelle and I had always talked about going, but never made the time for it. So we managed to convince Adrian and Kevin that it would be a good idea to go for a date night.

We were so excited about it that we completely ditched Kevin and Adrian by the time we got there. We didn't mean to, but we were just happy for the new experience.

After talking and molding our clay for more than ten minutes Adrian and Kevin approached us. Adrian came and sat behind Janelle to assist her and Kevin pulled up a chair in front of me. "I don't know what y'all thought this was, but this is date night. Not girls night," Kevin teased.

"Right. Don't just kick us to the curb cause y'all got what y'all wanted," Adrian added. Me and Janelle looked over at each other with an exaggerated look of surprise that sooned turned into laughter. "Alright mac daddy," I grinned, "you got it."

Me and Kevin were silent for a little while. He kept stealing glances of me every time he thought I wasn't looking. "Something on your mind Kevin," I asked, my eyes quickly looking in his direction and then away again. Kevin stopped what he was doing and looked up at me for a moment. When I noticed that he was still silent I looked up at him as I continued with my pottery. He stood up and walked around to me. He threw one leg behind me and then the other and sat down behind me. He placed his arms around mine and settled his chin into the groove of my neck and shoulder. He kissed the side of my neck.

"It's been four weeks. Have you thought about what I asked you?" He whispered as he guided my hands into the clay.

"You said no pressure," I whispered back. "I know and I meant it, but I'd be lying if I said that you not giving me a response wasn't driving me crazy," he mumbled in my ear.

"Kevin. How do you know I'm the one for you?"

"The real question is, how do you not know that you're the one for me?"

I chuckled. "Kevin, answer the question. He sighed. "Well for starters," he whispered, "you've shown me that I can trust you. You're honest and you're kind, you're intelligent, you're loyal. You're fun. Plus you make me smile when I don't want to. You're supportive and that shit turns me on," he said kissing the side of my neck. I laughed.  He kissed the back of my neck and continued. "I know that you're the one for me, because when I think of my life fifteen years from now I see you in it. I see us with a family of our own and I think we're working on our sixth child, a girl---hell, maybe even twins," he joked. I chuckled. "And to be honest I would never want to imagine my life without you in it."

I stood up and turned around to face him. He licked his lips and grinned as I sat in his lap to be face to face with him. "Damn. You gettin all intimate in public and shit," he teased. "Shut up. Don't act like you don't like it," I smiled. I drapped one arm around his neck and looked at him real good for a moment.

"So whatchu gotta say? You gon' say yes?" He asked.

"Don't you at least want to hear why I'm going to say yes?" Kevin couldn't stop grinning. "Go on. I'm listening."

"You're gentle. You're patient. You're strong when I need you to be. You're God-fearing, humble, fine as hell, which is definitely a bonus," I winked. "You have all the makings of a husband. You always have my back. You listen to understand not just to respond and you care about my being inside and out; you give me what I need and not always what I want---" I paused. "And when I think about my future fifteen years from now---" Kevin grinned and let a small laugh escape his lips, "I see you in it. I see us raising children together; a bunch of little juniors running around," I chuckled, "and we're gonna be damn good parents and we're gonna be one hellofa team. I know that with you we gon' take over the world together baby."