Chapter 42: New Life

"The memorial was so beautiful."

"How are you holding up?"

"Alyssa."

"She has no idea how much she was loved."

"Alyssa."

"If you need anything just let me know."

"Alyssa. Baby."

I looked up and saw Kevin standing in front of me. He stroked my cheek and smiled. "Hey beautiful. You ready to go? Everybody's meeting us back at the apartment."

"Um. Actually," I said standing up. "Can we go somewhere first?"

Kevin looked confused. "Sure, but what about our guest?"

I thought for a moment. "Janelle has a key. She can let them in. I'll call her right now."

"Works for me," he shrugged.

I quickly dialed her number. "Hey J. I have a quick favor to ask you. Can you let everyone in the apartment and then meet me and Kevin somewhere? Mya or Key can take care of everything else. Okay. Thanks. I'll text you the address."

Kevin raised his eyebrow at me. "What are you up to?"

"You have to come with me to find out," I said taking his keys from him. "I'm driving."

Kevin slid into the passengers seat. "So just to be clear you're not telling me where we're going?"

I put the car in drive. "That is correct," I grinned.

"I don't get it. Just a few minutes ago you were somewhere in outer space and now your spontaneous Suzie."

I laughed. "Would you relax? I'm not taking you to someplace crazy.

"So why won't you tell me," he grinned.

"Because that would ruin the surprise. You just have to trust me."

Fifteen minutes later we arrived to our destination.

Kevin unbuckled his seatbelt and looked out the window. "Baby. Why are we at the courthouse and why is Janelle meeting us here? Oooh snap," he said quickly putting it together.

He turned to look at me. "Are you sure that this is what you want to do? I mean, I haven't even bought your ring yet."

"I don't care about a ring. I care about you," I said softly caressing his cheek.

"And you don't have your dress," he added.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I didn't want to wear white anyway."

Kevin grinned at me. "You really want to do this?"

"More than anything in the entire world," I said throwing my arms around his neck. He gave me a few pecks on the lips. "So you're in," I cheesed.

"I was in the moment I asked you to marry me. Let's do this!"

About thirty minutes later, while sitting in the car with Kevin, I looked up and saw Janelle tapping recklessly on the window. "Biiih," she yelled, "you're getting married!"

"I know," I yelled to her through the window. I quickly opened the car door and got out. Janelle met me halfway. She threw her arms around me and hugged me tightly. "Sorry I'm late. I had to make a few stops, but oh my goodness," she squealed, "I'm so happy for you!" When she let me go there were tears in her eyes. "I can't believe that in the next few hours you're going to be Mrs. Kevin Davis. I am so happy that you found your soulmate."