Chapter 24: The Interlude

It was Saturday afternoon. I had just finished up my morning cleaning when there was a knock at the door. I opened the door and was greeted by Terrance on the other side.

"Hey T. Come in."

Terrance walked inside and sat down in the chair near the door. He scooted up to the edge of his seat and rested his elbows on his legs. I sat down across from him.

"Where's your crew at today?" He asked me.

"I don't know. Who's to say they won't pop up though? They're famous for that."

"Ah yeah. I noticed," he said laughing nervously and rubbing his chin.

"So uh. Look. Alyssa," he started. "I just want to apologize for yesterday. I was uh, completely out of line and I'm sorry. Things shouldn't of gotten that far in order for me to understand that you're an adult now. As an older sibling it's hard watching your younger siblings grow up."

I leaned forward in my seat. "And you don't think I know that," I smiled. "I have a younger sister too, yah know." Terrance's mouth curved into a grin. "Watching Mya grow up is incredibly hard for me. She has this amazing personality and she's really coming into her own. I look at her sometimes and I'm like 'aaah what is happening'," I laughed, " 'who is this woman,' ya know? But I wouldn't be a good big sister if I didn't step back and let her do her thing. She's her own human. I'm my own human. We do things that people don't like. We do things that we don't like. Sometimes we become our own worst enemy or the thing that we fear the most, but we don't need people throwing our shortcomings or whatever in our face. You feel me?"

"I feel you," Terrance smiled. "Look at you spouting words of wisdom. When did you get to be so smart," he laughed tapping me on my knee.

I grinned. "That's what four years away from home will do to you. You gain some perspective."

"I'm proud of you Lys. Despite all the bullshit I was spitting yesterday, I'm really proud of you and I admire the woman that you've become." Terrance paused. "And thank you for keeping it real with me too, on some real shit. I know I can be an asshole and I'm sorry for that." He took a deep breath. "Look. You're my sister and I love you no matter what. From here on out I'm not gon' let anything get in the way of our relationship again."

I perked up. "Hey. Thanks T!" I smiled at him. "There's no love lost."

Terrance nodded his head. "Good." He stood up.

"Hey you don't have to leave so soon. We can still hang out if you want."

Terrance grinned. "You mean I haven't overstayed my welcome, yet?"

"Pssh. No way." I grabbed his arm. "Come on. Let me make you lunch."

"Only if you throwing down like nani."

"Please. I don't do it any other way."

"Aight then. Lead the way!"
..
About an hour or so after hanging out with Terrance, Janelle and I went shopping. I had a very important job interview coming up and wanted to look my best. My other clothes just weren't cutting it. We were just getting back to the apartment two hours later.

"Where the hell have y'all been," Kevin asked playfully when Janelle and I came through the doorway.

"We just went to the mall; did a little shopping, ya know," I said as I held up my bags. "I see you invited the flossy posse over," I teased. "Hey y'all." Scattered laughter came from around the room.

Kevin got up from the couch and stepped in front of me as I was headed to my room.

"Babe what's up," I grinned up at him. "Can I help you with something?" A grin teased the corner of his lips as he cornered me into the wall. "You went to Victoria's Secret didn't you?"