Chapter 57: I'll Always Love You

...
The elevator ride to the first floor felt like a lifetime. When I got off I realized that I had been holding my breath. I exhaled and walked out into the open air. When I got to my car Oliver was leaning against the back of it with his phone up to his ear. When he saw me approaching he stood up and slipped his phone in his back pocket. "Hey. I was just calling you," he said as he walked over to me. Oliver met me in the small distance between us. He looked at my somber expression and gently grabbed ahold of my arms. He stepped closer to me. "What's wrong? Did something happen between you and Kevin? Before I could respond tears had already began to roll down my face. "Can we just get out of here," I sniveled. He nodded his head. "Absolutely. I parked right over here," he said grabbing my hand and pulling me in the direction of his car.

He unlocked the door and we got in. "So where to," he asked as he put on his seatbelt. I shrugged. "Anywhere."

"You got it," he said pulling off. I leaned my head against the window and tried to rest, but memories of Kevin wouldn't let me. I sat up. "On second thought, can we just go to your house?"

"Yeah. Sure. Whatever you want."

"Thank you."

"Don't mention it," he said squeezing my leg.

Nearly thirty minutes later we arrived back to Oliver's place. "Do you need anything," he asked after we walked into the house. "No. I'm okay," I said as I neared the kitchen. I sat down on the bar stool. "You can go upstairs to the bedroom or you can stretch out on the couch." I hunched my shoulders. "No. That's okay. I'm comfortable here." Oliver titled his head downward. "You sure?" I gave him a reassuring smile. "I'm fine," I said dragging my hands down his arms. "I just wanna sit here for a little bit." He gave in. "Okay. Well, while you do that I'll be in the shower. Feel free to help yourself to whatevers in the house."

"Thank you."

"No problem," Oliver said as he turned to walk away. I reached out and grabbed his hand. He turned back around and faced me. I pulled him close until he was standing in the space between my legs. "You good?" He asked. I looked at him and was suddenly unable to string together a full sentence, so instead I reached up and pulled him in, pressing my lips to his until they worked out their own kind of rhythm. Oliver's warm hands slid up to the sides of my neck as he kissed me. "What was that for," he asked as he pulled away. "I---I don't know," I stammered. "I guess it's a thank you for coming to my rescue tonight." Oliver placed his index finger under my chin. "You never have to thank me for doing what I always will," he said and then he leaned in to kiss me again. Oliver grabbed me by my hand and pulled me up. "Come on. Let's go to bed. It's late." I stood up and allowed myself to be led out of the kitchen by Oliver.

I was so tired by the time I laid down that night. The events that transpired earlier definitely wore me out and had me asleep within minutes.
..
The next morning I was startled awake by a loud banging noise. It reminded me of the time my mom came banging on my door one morning to start trouble. I tried to shake Oliver awake. "Lee," I groaned, "wake up."

"What's wrong," he mumbled.

"You don't hear that banging? It's loud as shit."

"Yeah," he sighed as he turned over on his otherside.

"Can you get up to see who that is so I can go back to sleep?"

"You go," he said tiredly.

"Nigga I don't live here."

"Yeah, you just eat up all of my food," he teased. "Shut up and answer the door," I chuckled. He pulled the covers back and slowly got out of bed. As he made his way downstairs I pulled the covers back over my body and adjusted my head on the pillow. I was starting to drift back to sleep when I heard yelling come from downstairs followed by more loud banging. "What the fuck is going on," I groaned.