Chapter 2: All In

After a four mile run I was exhausted. I placed my hands on my knees and breathed breathlessly into the open air. I grabbed my bottle of water and gulped most of the water down in one go, before walking back to my dorm.

I walked into my building and headed up the steps to my suite. When I opened the door to my bedroom Janelle was sprawled out on my bed.

"Where the hell have you been?"

"Why the hell are you here," I snapped back.

"Bitch don't do that. I ain't seen your goofy ass since the party last night."

"That's because you left me," I said as I started to undress. "CeCe let you in here?"

"Yeah," she said as I walked into the bathroom and turned on the shower water. When I came back out Janelle quickly sat up. "Oh speaking of last night. How'd it go with Kevin? I saw you with him for a quick second."

I grinned in her direction and grabbed my towel. "Let me take a quick shower first and then I'll fill you in when I get out."

"Bitch, bump that. I want to hear this story now," she said following me to the bathroom. She sat down on the lid of the toilet seat as I stepped into the shower. "Alright bitch. I'm listening?" I lathered the soap onto my washcloth and started filling her in. By the time I finished Janelle was already bombarding me with questions; all of which I ignored.

"Are you sure all ya'll did was kiss? How was it? Do you like him? Are you still thinking about Ron?"

I stepped out of the shower with my towel wrapped around me and headed back into my room with Janelle on my heels. I grabbed my lotion off the dresser and sat down on the edge of my bed.

"So when is he taking you out?"

"I don't know. Maybe tonight if he can get my number."

"What do you mean 'if he can get your number?' You didn't give it to him?"

"No," I huffed.

"Motherfucker! What do you mean no?"

"Just what I said! I'm making him work for this!"

"Girl that's bullshit. Would you make Ron wait?"

"Hell yeah. If I thought he was worth it!"

"MmMm bitch. This is unexceptable," Janelle said as she put her sneakers on and laced them up.

"Janelle where the hell are you going? It's not that deep," I said as I threw on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt.

"Like hell it's not. You finally got a guy interested in you. I'm gonna go find Kevin myself and give him your number. You going out with his ass tonight. Besides you know you want to. I'll be back," she said heading for the door. I tried to stop her from leaving out the room, but much to my chagrin she made it out.

"I'll call you when it's done. Or maybe he will. Who knows," she teased as she headed down the hall. I went back into my room and shut the door.

As I stood in the mirror fixing my hair, I could hear Janelle outside flagging Kevin down. "Shit. She moves quick," I said to myself as I ran to the window. I saw Kevin from a distance. He slowed down and looked in Janelle's direction. "Oh heeell no! She about to embarrass the shit out of me!" I said outloud, although I wasn't entirely sure that I was going to make the situation any better by being there myself. Nonetheless, I rushed my feet into a pair of sneakers, grabbed my keys and my phone, and jetted out the door. I ran down the stairs and out the building.