Chapter 10: Heart to Heart

...
Kevin sat me down on the bed. I braced myself for what I was about to hear. Kevin plopped down beside me and took a deep breath before saying anything.

"Recently I found out that I was adopted---" My eyes grew wide. "Woah," I interjected. Kevin nodded his head, "I know. I found out that my birthparents gave me away, because they couldn't afford to take care of me. I just found out that they had been looking for me for years," he emphazised. "My parents claim that they had no idea, but I found out that that wasn't true. They knew my birth parents were looking for me and never breathed a word about any of this."

"What about your older brother? Did he know? I mean he had to know right?"

"Yeah he knew. I was pissed at him too, but I know that it wasn't really his place to tell me. It had to come from my parents."

I nodded my head in agreement.

"Alyssa. What's even worse though is that my birth mom is in the hospital fighting for her life right now. I've been robbed of her for years and now she might die before I get a chance to really know her Lys. We have so much lost time to make up for."

I was so stunned. I barely knew what to say. "How'd you find out all of this?"

"My birth father found my number and got in contact with me. You can imagine my confusion when he called. I had a lot of questions and were feeling so many emotions at once. A few weeks after keeping in contact with him, he asked if he could drive up here to meet me. I told him 'yeah.' When he came up here he explained everything to me. He told me everything about him, my real mom, my siblings." Kevin paused. "Lys they had five more children after me and---" Kevin paused, "they gave away another child. My twin brother." My mouth hung open.

"Whaaa---twi---you have a twin. What the hell," I mumbled, "this story just keeps coming with more surprises."

"Tell me about it. They didn't plan for us to be separated during the adoption process, but some things were beyond their control. My real dad said that they didn't know we had been separated until they came looking for us some odd years later."

I sighed. "Man, this is some heavy stuff."

"Yeah. And to top it all off I got laid off of my job recently. They said it was budget cuts," Kevin sighed, "I've been applying to jobs all over. The upside is that I still have some money saved up."

I grabbed his hand. "And you know what another upside to all of this is," I asked.

He leaned his head back and looked at me. "What?"

"You have me," I smiled. "I am more than happy to help you in any way that I can."

Kevin grinned and placed his forehead on mine. "I know that I can always count on you." I looked up at him and smiled. "You got it."

He gave me a gentle kiss on the forehead. "You're a gem you know that?" I looked up at him and blushed. "I love you," he said just before pulling me into a hug. "I love you more."

When he let me go I kissed him profusely on his face and his neck and his jawline and tackled him back into the bed with all my love. He laughed.

"You got me forever," I said laying beside him.

"What did I do to get so lucky," he grinned just before leaning over top of me and burying his face into my clavicle. He looked back up at me and fixed his eyes on my laugh, my eyes, my lips.

I held his face in my hands and watched him study me. "Marry me," he almost whispered. My hands left his face. My heart raced. "Are you serious," I whispered. "You said that I have you forever. We don't have to do this now. We can still date each other, we can still do this but," he said sliding his fingers in between mine, "I want to spend the rest of my life with you." He brought each of my hands up to his lips and kissed them. "You don't have to say anything right now. No pressure or anything I promise, but I want you to know how I feel. I don't want you to ever have to second guess my love for you. Know that it's real." I reached out to grab his face again and pulled him back into me. "Okay," he questioned; his lips inches away from mine. "Okay," I replied quietly against his lips.