Chapter 22: Pinky Promise

...
"Kevin keep still," I said moving his head to the left. "Babe I'm trying, but I'm tired of sitting and I'm hungry," he said. "Listen. If you want these locs to come out right you gon' have to stop moving." Kevin winced as I pulled a loc taut and palm rolled it.

"Baby am I hurting you?"

"Nah I got hunger pangs." His stomach growled.

"Aight. I'll be done in like fifteen and the food should be here by then. Can you hold out for fifteen more minutes baby?"

"Yeah," he said just as I dipped my finger into the loc gel and palm rolled it onto another loc.

Just as I was finishing up Kevin's hair the doorbell rang. I left Kevin on the floor to answer the door. "Don't move. I'm not done with you yet," I said pointing at him. He sighed and sat back. I opened the door. "Hi," I said to the delivery guy. He made sure he was at the right apartment before handing me the receipt. We made small talk for a short moment as I signed it and handed it back to him along with a tip. I took the food from him. "Thank you. Have a good night." I shut the door behind me and placed the pizza and chicken wings on the kitchen counter.

I sat back down on the couch. "Kevin scoot back in between my legs real quick," I instructed. "That's my favorite place to be," he joked. I laughed and retwisted the last five locs. I smoothed his hair down and made sure every strand was in its place. "Okay. You're free to go," I said moving my legs from around him.

Kevin stood up and went over to the mirror to look at his hair. I headed into the kitchen and washed my hands. I grabbed a slice of pizza.

"Damn Lyssa you put in that work. You got me right," Kevin said looking himself over. He headed towards the kitchen where I was. He placed his hands on my waist. "Thank you baby," he said giving me a few quick pecks on the lips. "How much I owe you," he said kissing me on my cheek and neck. "I wanna make sure I got you covered for all the hard work you put in," he grinned.

"You don't owe me anything baby."

Kevin took a huge bite out of my pizza. "You sure? There's nothing that you want?"

I smiled at him. "No. I have all that I want and need right here in this kitchen with me." Kevin looked around the room jokingly. I turned his face back to mine and laughed as he pulled me closer to him.

The doorbell rung. We looked at each other. "You expecting guess," he questioned. "No. You?" Kevin shook his head. "Nah." The doorbell rung a second time. We looked at each other again. "Go answer the door," I said to Kevin as I pushed him towards the living room. "Why? I ont live here," he joked. "Gooo," I said as I wrapped my arms around his waist from behind. I walked with him to the door.

Kevin opened the door and I peeked out from behind him. It was the too live crew minus two. They were extremely rowdy. "Why you peeking out from behind him like that," Darius asked as he came in behind the others. "In case I had to run and get the glock," I joked. "I ain't know who was at the door. We weren't expecting y'all." Mark smirked at me. "Y'all had other plans, huh?"

"Yes. Y'all can't just be doing random pop ups, especially not drunk ones."

"So we uninvited," Evan asked.

"Y'all were never invited. What you mean," I laughed as I headed into the kitchen. Kevin groaned and followed behind me. "Babe. Are you gonna let them stay?"

I grabbed a piece of chicken and bit into it. "I don't know. Maybe. I mean they have come all this way. I don't really mind."

"Shit. I do. Send them home."

I chuckled at Kevin's disapproval and left the kitchen.  I entered the living room. I clasped my hands together. "So," I started, "I know y'all the homies and everything, but y'all have to go."