Chapter 44: Betrayal

...
I stood back up from Kevin's lap surprised.

"Hello? Alyssa you there?"

Everyone kept asking me who it was. I ignored them and grabbed my keys. I quickly left the apartment. Kevin called out behind me.

"Oh. I see you have company," Ron said on the other end. "I can just call you back."

"No it's fine. I can talk," I said stepping into the elevator.

"Good," he said huskily into the phone. "I've missed the sound of your voice.

"How am I speaking to you right now? I thought you were---"

"Yeah I was, but I got out two months ago. I've been wanting to call you for a minute. How you been?"

"I've been good," I said walking out of my apartment building and to my car.

"You sound good." I could hear him smiling through the phone which made me smile. He seemed to be doing better. I unlocked my car door and slid into the backseat. He was silent for a moment. "I've been thinking about you," I started. "How are you? You doing okay?"

"Yeah. I've been doing alright. I'd be doing a lot better if I could see you."

"Ron. You know that's not possible. I'm with---"

"Alyssa. I miss you," he said cutting me off. "I need to see you."

"Ron. I'm married now and I'm not going to let anything or anyone---that means you---jeopardize my marriage."

He was silent for what seemed like a long time.

"Hello? Ron?"

He cleared his throat. "Yeah. I'm here," he responded. "I'm just surprised that you married him."

"Why? You knew how I felt about him."

"I guess I was just hoping that I still had a chance, but I should have known better. I treated you real grimey. I know that. You had no choice but to move on."

"Yeah," I said quietly.

"Are you happy?"

"Ron. I'm not going through this with you again."

"Are you," he questioned again.

"Yes. I'm very happy," I smiled.

"And do you miss me?"

"Ron you are pushing it," I replied

"Imma gonna ask you that again. Do you...miss me?" He said slowly.

"Ron."

"Alyssa."

I was silent.

"Answer the question," he crooned into the phone.

I sighed. "Sometimes...I miss our friendship. I miss how we used to be, but---"

"But what?"

"You can never be what you used to be to me. You ruined that."

"I see," he sighed into the phone. "Meet me somewhere."

"No."

"Fine. Then I'll come to you."

"What? No you're not. Don't be ridiculous."

"Look up," he said. I looked up and saw a tall figure appear out of the darkness. It was Ron. I opened up the car door to let him in. "What are you doing here," I exclaimed. "How'd you know where to find me? Have you been watching me this whole time?"