Chapter 41: The Light at the End

...
"I'm here. What's going on," I said approaching my dad and my siblings.

"Mommy's awake and she won't see anybody until she speaks to you," Keyona said.

"What? Why?"

"Girl we don't know. Just go," Keyona said pushing me.

"Okay. I'm going," I said as I turned to walk away. "If I'm not back in like an hour call the cops."

My siblings tried not to laugh or make eye contact with me. Faye smirked.

"Really? You wanna crack jokes right now," my dad asked. "Not the time or the place."

"Sorry. Geesh. Tough crowd."

He sighed eyed me. "Alyssa."

"Okay. I got it. Completely out of line. I'm going now," I said pointing in the direction I was headed.

When I got to my mom's room she was sitting up. "Hey ma," I said shutting the door behind me. She perked up and gave me a quiet, "Hey."

I walked over to her side of the bed and sat down. "How are you feeling?"

"After the surgery? Fine. But about us? Terrible." She dabbed under her eyes and sniffed. I can't even begin to tell you how bad I feel about how I treated you. It shouldn't have taken a car accident and a near death experience to realize this, but I was wrong. I apologize."

Tears welled in my eyes. "I forgive you ma," I said gently pulling her into a hug. "I've missed you."

She looked at me and smiled. "So how are you? How's the baby," she said touching my belly. I placed my hand over top of hers.

She cocked her head to the side. "Lys, what's wrong?"

I was hesitant. "I lost the baby ma."

"What," she whispered, "When? How?"

"I went into preterm labor three days ago. She died while I was giving birth to her. Truthfully, I should be somewhere laying down right now. I just got discharged today."

"I'm so sorry. I wish I'd known. I wouldn't have pulled you away."

"No. It's okay. You had no way of knowing."

She grabbed my hand. "So, you were having a girl," she said trying to offer me a smile.

I nodded my head. "Yeah. Aleyah Lynette Davis." I fought back tears. My mother on the other hand did not. She closed her eyes, leaned her head back, and held her stomach. "I am so sorry Alyssa," she whispered. She looked at me. "I---I said some really horrible things that I didn't mean and I wish," she sniveled, "I wish I could take it all back."

"Well," I said looking at her through watery eyes, "I guess that's just something you're going to have to live with," I said slowly. "You may not have a granddaughter from me, but at least you have Ángel, right?"

She looked at me and nodded her head. "Yes," she sobbed. "He's going to make it to the full nine months."

"That's what I thought," I nearly whispered. She broke down. "I'm so sorry Alyssa."

"You have nothing to be sorry for. I don't blame you for my daughter's death."

"But Alyssa---"

"Listen. Ma. I've been stressed. I probably should have done less. This one is on me. I take full responsibility."

"Alyssa it is my fault. I kept baiting you into pointless arguments. I was mean---"

"Ma. We do not need to do this. We're both still recuperating. We've gone through too much to rehash it all right now. Just get some rest," I said kissing her on the cheek. I stood up to leave. "Everybody is in the lobby waiting to see you. Should I send them up?"