Chapter 8: Looking Out

"Wow it looks so beautiful in here," Janelle said as she looked around wide eyed.

"Right! This place is amazing isn't it." We walked around admiring some of the paintings.

"Oh look. Here's Adrian's," Janelle called out. She placed her hands on her hips.

"Wow," she nearly whispered, "He's incredible." We slowly drifted from one piece of his artwork to the next, careful not to miss anything.

"Alyssa! Janelle!" We heard a familiar voice call out behind us. We turned around and were shocked to see Kevin and Adrian together.

"What are y'all doing here," he asked in surprise.

"We're here to support a black man's dream," I teased just before leaning in to give Adrian a hug. "It is so good to see you again. Congratulations," I said as I squeezed him tightly. "Thank you, thank you," he said after we stepped away from one another. Kevin's eyebrows were raised in subtle confusion.

"Well. If it isn't Mr. Alvarez himself," Janelle teased. She stepped closer and gave him a hug. "Congratulations on your big debut. Everything is stunning." When they separated Adrian thanked her. "You look beautiful by the way," he complimented. Janelle beamed. "Thank you."

"So how do y'all know each other and why am I the last to know?" Kevin cut in. Adrian chuckled. "We met a couple weeks ago at the sip and paint I teach every other Friday."

"Okay. So I'm trynna figure out why Alyssa hugging you like y'all've been friends for years," Kevin joked.

I playfully hit him on the arm. "Stop it. That was my "I'm proud of you" hug," I laughed.

"But you don't know him," he teased. Everyone laughed. "I still gotta support my black brothers, plus I've gotta feeling that he's gonna be like family anyway," I said with a wink. Janelle raised her eyebrow at me. "So, Kevin? Adrian? What's y'all story," I asked.

Kevin grinned excitedly and looked at Adrian. "Adrian is my god brother and one of my best friends."

"Aw," Janelle and I said at the same time. I turned to Janelle. "Didn't you just feel the love when he said that?" "Girl yes," she laughed.

Kevin and Adrian grinned. "That's that brotherly love," Adrian reaffirmed. I smiled. "You know what? I love y'all friendship already," I said.

"Yes," Janelle chimed in, "we've all gotta hang out one day." Adrian turned to face Janelle and gave her his undivided attention. "Actually, I'd love it if I could take you out instead." Janelle was caught by surprise, but only for a second. She grinned coquettishly, "How about next Friday at eight?" Kevin and I eyed each other as we watched the magic unfold. Adrian's eyes lit up. "It's a date," he grinned, "on me." "Alright then," Janelle winked.

"Well in that case, Adrian how about you show Janelle around some more, while I steal Kevin away from you for a few minutes."

"Lys, why you acting like you ain't just come up from under Kevin some odd hours ago? Let me tell you something. Being thirsty is not cute," Janelle joked.

Adrian and Kevin laughed hysterically.

I eyed Janelle down. "Oh. Okay. But you know what is? This ass walking away from you." I wrapped Kevin's arms around me and smirked at Janelle jokingly. "Don't be a hater J---and Adrian good luck with that one." I could hear them snickering behind me as I directed Kevin away.

"Ooh where we going baby?"

"It's a surprise." I led him to a door. "Okay. Here we are." He looked at me. "I hope this isn't your surprise," he teased. I pulled out a key from my purse. "Nope."