Chapter 7: Jillian's Story...Part 1 (edited)

This is one out of three parts of Jillian's Story

************************************************************************************

“You want to tell me about it?” I asked. "I'm all ears."

Jillian hesitated for a second before saying, “yeah...sure.” She thought back to the day the Academy driver came to pick her up.

*~ Jillian’s POV~*

*4 ½ weeks ago*

It was scorching outside. I was sweating so profusely that my shirt clung to my back. The driver grunted a few times before telling me that I had only five minutes left to say my goodbyes. _Ha, five minutes!_ I almost laughed in his face. I turned to my family and said goodbye. I know that saying it for the billionth time was getting annoying, but it was justifiable. I knew the chances of seeing them again was practically nonexistent. When my mother reached her hand out to me, I smothered her in a hug, unwilling to let go.

“We’re going to miss you so much,” my mother, Hana Samuels, wiped away a few stray tears with her thumb. “Try to come back to us, okay?" sorrow flashed across her slightly wrinkled face. Today my mother didn't hold the normal liveliness it had since I was a child. Dark circles sat under her eyes and her skin was as pale as snow.

When I was ready to let go of my mother, I bent down to talk to my little brother, “Robbie, you have to always listen to mommy,” I hesitated, “…and dad,” I said fighting the tears swelling in my eyes. It didn't bother me that people were seeing me fall apart or if my dad had a permanent scowl on his face. "You better not forget me."

He nodded his little head and I wrapped him in a tight hug. He had to keep scratching on my back before I let go. No matter how much he shook his head, I knew he would forget about me one day. I'll only be a faint memory to him and because of it my heart hurts. I will never get to watch him grow up. 

I stood up and looked at my father. His arms were crossed menacingly. His face held no sigh of love, sorrow, regret, or anything. I hated that he had changed. I wish I could have gotten my father back.

My father, Raymond Samuels, was ‘laid off’ 11 months ago. Ever since then, it had been unbearable to be in the same house as him. He became an alcoholic and very abusive, but also smart. Although he could thinks of some very creative ways of causing my mother and I pain, he would never hit us where the bruises could be seen. I had to always protect my baby brother, afraid that one day I might come home and see him lying in a pool of blood because of my father. I hated him so much. He's not the man he use to be and now I have no choice but to accept that.

My father bought my mother at an auction so I could understand that this was normal to him. He's nearly fifteen years older than her. Mother use to tell me that he was an evil son-of-a-bitch, just sober and less abusive. When I was younger I use to hate my mother for saying that. Before he was cut loose from the firm, he used to spoil me. I got whatever I wanted. Now I can't even ask for something out of the fear of getting hit. 

My world turned upside down and I suddenly didn't have my caring father anymore, now all I had was what he gave me. I had to come home, take care of my brother when my mother wasn't tending to her cuts and bruises, and staying out of his way.

The more I looked at them; the more I worried about my own mate. Would he be like my father? Is he going to be four times my age and only wanted one thing out of the relationship? From some of the stories that I heard, it always ended badly at auctions. Young guys didn’t go to auctions. They rather sow their wild oats and come when they reached a steady age of forty-five or higher, knowing that they could still get a younger woman.